More Whining.....

Lounge By CakeMommyTX Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 11:50pm by Cassie2500

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:10pm
post #1 of 16

Ok so my whining has nothing to do with cakes, but its whining none the less. Iâm whining about the fact that we have to replace the engine in our car and it is going to cost 5600$. Now Iâve already dug up the jar of pennies in the back yard and searched the couch for loose change so now all I have to come up with is 5573.87$
Oh and I stubbed my toe this morning
icon_mad.gif

15 replies
Cakers84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakers84 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 16

Dh just had our engine replaced. He did on-line bidding for the engine and saved a bunch of money.
Now my ole MPV sounds better than the new ones! thumbs_up.gif
PM me if you'd like more detail.

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 16

Yeah-we need to have some work done to our Durango-jerking a lot-but we don't have the money to pay for it. Don't know exactly how much it would cost, but we have no money, so we can't do it right now. icon_cry.gif We just spent almost $7,000 to have the whole house done in ceramic tile for the floor, so we are broke!!! I wish I could come up with money like you, yourstrulytx, just searching around the house to find money, but I can truly tell you we have no money stored anywhere! icon_cry.gif Oh well-I am happy with my floor. thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 16

you might also want to check your local high school and see if they offer a vocational school that offers engine repair ... sometimes those schools will do that kind of work extremely cheap just for practice ... well, practice under a licensed teacher so everything is done right!

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 16

I'm going to steal the thread so that there can be more posts about people stealing threads..

My whine...

I was talking to dd 5 about what to take for the Halloween party. I got instructions for BCJean's Friendly Ghost ccc avatar. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_977613.html
My dd insists it's too scary.

So I mention orange choc covered marshmallow pumpkins. Nope too scary!

She found a cake she likes - a haunted house sitting in a graveyard! Go figure!

mssweetie24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mssweetie24 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 16

I know how that is ..My dh truck is in the shop so he is having to use my car til it is fixed..This past weekend I had my sis to pick up a cake box since I was out well my hubby went to pick it up and where we live it rural area so low and behold a deer came up from the river bank icon_eek.gif so now I have a deer dent as I call it lol ... my hubby was saying I wished it was you instead of me that made the dent..I am like I am not icon_rolleyes.gif because I know he would never let me live that one down..

Didn't mean to steal the thread

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 16

Whining is ok... but posts not related to cake belong in the lounge. FYI thumbs_up.gif

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 16

If I had $5600.00 laying around and a dead engine, I'd just put the money down on a whole new car. lol

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 16

we had to replace the engine in our car several years ago. We discovered that in foreign countries (Japan?) they are only allowed to have more than(30K?) miles on their engine before they have to be replaced. They then sell those barely used engines for very reasonable prices. Unfortunately I don't have names or numbers to share with you, but you could probably google it and find some information. hope that helps

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:52pm
post #10 of 16

We are in the exact same spot as you right now. The engine repair is going to cost more than the stupid car is worth. Seems stupid to put that much into it but there's no way we can afford another car payment so replacing it isn't an option. Totally bites. I feel for ya!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:57pm
post #11 of 16

My whine...

Hubby's grandma just gave him her car because at 82 years old she finally realized that if she can't hold an empty dinner plate or see it at he feet when she drops it then just maybe she shouldn't be driving.

They drive it up here, purrs like a kitten the whole way. Everything inside out and top to bottom was checked, filled, serviced at the expense of my very rich MIL.

They leave and on the way home grandma says "I have a confession... there's a problem with the car. It's just a little one though... when you turn the headlights on eveything internally goes dark. " icon_mad.gif

GEE COULD YOU HAVE TOLD US THAT BEFORE GIVING US THE CAR!

Hubby won't drive it after dark unless necessary. MIL's trying to figure out when she can come back up for a visit and pay a shop to fix it.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 16

Im not sure where everyone is located at, but around here $5600.00 would buy a very nice used car and that would eliminate payments too ..

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 16

What kind of car is it? I had to replace the engine in my car several years back and the enigine was $550. That was only the engine and not labor, but I would think it would have to be one nice engine to cost that much. I would call around to different places if you could. Get quotes on a new engine. See if they have any used engines they could put in for you. You could also call some junk yards to see if they had any. Just offering some advice. That just seems like way to much money to me.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:08pm
post #14 of 16

I had to replace an engine in a (piece of crap) Kia Sportage.......3 months later had to replace fuel system!!! (piece of crap) total : 7300.00 KIA finally paid for the fuel system...come to find out when we had it checked by another dealer it was one of the flood cars a while back GRRRRR>>>>> cars are NOT fun to put money into!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness_221

What kind of car is it? I had to replace the engine in my car several years back and the enigine was $550. That was only the engine and not labor, but I would think it would have to be one nice engine to cost that much. I would call around to different places if you could. Get quotes on a new engine. See if they have any used engines they could put in for you. You could also call some junk yards to see if they had any. Just offering some advice. That just seems like way to much money to me.

It all depends on the age of the vehicle and the type. A truck, SUV or newer car are going to have higher priced parts, the newer vehicles because they have alot more computer-type parts and stuff than the older models, a new SUV can have very expensive parts. The engine might be half or less of that price, swapping an engine isn't a two hour job. In the middle of nowhere in North Dakota the dealership my husband works for is charging over $50 an hour for mechanic work, cities are charging close to $100.

Depending on the age of the vehicle look into junk yards or for newer stuff look at rebuilt engines. If you have your vehicle at a dealership check around with the independent guys because they normally charge less per hour. The one thing to remember about the independent guys is that if you take your car in to them they might not be as familar with it as a mechanic at a dealer that sells that brand especially if it's a newer model.

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:50pm
post #16 of 16

I know how you feel, CarolynGwen. A couple of months ago, a lady I was babysitting for gave us a car. She said the person had it sitting out in the yard-don't know for how long-and they didn't want it anymore, so she offered it to me. I was thrilled because we had been a 1-car family for about 2 years-and it's hard when you have 2 kids and hubby has the car all day at work. Anyway, when they brought it, it had been in the shop for about a week doing repairs and whatever and about 3-4 weeks later the pedal that you push with the left foot (stick-shift) was all the way to the floor one morning. We could pull it up, but when you pushed it down, it would just stay there. Fortunately, my dad is pretty good with cars, so he fixed it-just replaced the master cylinder. Now it seems like it has a leak where he put the master cylinder and we have to keep filling it with brake fluid so we can shift icon_confused.gif Crazy-but the car was free so I guess we will keep it. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%