Topsy Turvy Christmas Tree

Decorating By cakesbylaura Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm by cakesbylaura

cakesbylaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbylaura Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to make a topsy turvy Christmas tree cake for a party on December 8th. At first I thought, it would be no problem to make one since I've done a few topsy turvy cakes before. But now that I've thought about it more, I'm not sure if I can do it or not. I'm envisioning that each tier would be wide at the bottom and narrow at the top which is the opposite of how I usually make a topsy turvy cake. I'm concerned about stability and exactly how to make it look like a tree while also making it topsy turvy. I usually carve out a small section in the lower tier to set the next tier onto so it is actually sitting level but just looks like it is at an angle. I'm not sure how to achieve this with layers that are wide on the bottom and narrow on the top. Hope this all makes sense! Any suggestions?

Laura
Parker, CO

6 replies
Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 7

Maybe you could put it together with the styrofoam wedges between each layer rather than trying to carve and stack the layers into each other? That would allow you to taper each tier and still set them at an angle, and also add extra height to your tree.

I hope that makes sense!

Anya

edited to add an example
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1131273.html

you could also cover those wedges in brown fondant and use them as a tree trunk instead of hiding them! thumbs_up.gif

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 7

When I started writting this I thought I had the perfect solution, as I tried to describe it, I realized how it would never work.

Would it be possible to just use the different tiers without the leaning look? Otherwise I like the idea of using the wedges.

cakesbylaura Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:00pm
post #4 of 7

I think I like the idea of using the styrofoam wedges. I've never used styrofoam as wedges or dummy tiers in a stacked cake. When you place the final dowel that goes from top to bottom, do little bits of styrofoam get forced into the tiers that are below it?

Do you think I can make each tier wide at the bottom and narrow at the top (kind of the opposite of what you usually think of for topsy turvy cake tiers) or should I forget the idea of trying to taper them that way?

Mmgiles, the request has been for topsy turvy tree so I think I definitely need to attempt to make it look like it is leaning.

I'm also a little unsure of how to create the somewhat pointed top of the tree. Since it will be covered in fondant, it will need to be fairly sturdy. I might just use a mini wonder mold shape and consider it pointy enough.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Laura

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 7

Could you bake in a metal funnel and plug the end? I dont know where to find a metal funnel, but it is halloween so maybe the tin man will loan you his.

cakesbylaura Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 7

A funnel is not a bad idea but it might be tricky to find a metal one. I wonder if there is a cone shaped cake pan out there somewhere that might work. I just don't want to carve the top because it won't be sturdy enough to hold up to fondant. I might make the very top out of a chunk of fondant if I can't figure anything else out.

Off to search for a metal funnel or a cone shaped pan!

Laura

cakesbylaura Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 7

Actually, I might just use a fondant covered styrofoam cone for the top!

Laura

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%