Oven Is Off

Decorating By wendydou Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 5:48pm by JoAnnB

wendydou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendydou Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 3

How do I determine if my oven is "off".. I bake cakes and it seems that on two layer cakes, one always takes a few minutes longer than the other.. almost like the right side of my oven is cooler than the left??? how do you fix that?? Buy a new one???

wouldn't an enclosed area infused with lots of heat stay consistently the same temperature??

I've lowered temps and baked longer, and it still happens. I have one layer of my wilton2 final cake with a huge divet in it because of it.. I'll hide it but it's probably still raw in the middle... Then I made a second batch (for my mom, we both are taking the class) and that cake came out higher and flatter, but one took longer than the other again... I even moved them to the left of the oven to see if that would work and it did to a point..

help!

Wendy

2 replies
DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 3

I'd suggest gettin ga cheap thermometer for your oven to check the tempurature inside first. Also, maybe rotate the cakes and switch sides halfway through baking time.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 3

You can have the element checked or replace it (sometimes expensive) the other alternative is to rotate your pans about 1/2 way throught the baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%