Store Bought Fondant Vs. Home Made

Decorating By BMAC01 Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 6:38pm by mmkwynne

BMAC01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BMAC01 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 6

I NORMALLY BUY MY FONDANT ALREADY MADE. IT GETS RATHER PRICEY AT TIMES. I MADE MY FIRST BATCH OF FONDANT AT HOME THIS WEEKEND. THE RECIPE I TRIED STATED I NEEDED TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF THE FONDANT BEFORE I MIXED IT WITH THE SUGAR. HOW DO I SEPERATE THE BATCH IF I WANT TO CHANGE COLORS FOR DIFFERENT DECORATIONS... I HOPE IM EXPLAINING THIS CLEARLY.

5 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 6

I have been wondering the same thing... When you mix the color into the marshmellow part before mixing in the sugar, and you know that you will need several colors, what do you do?

katgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katgal Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

You don't have to mix in the color before the sugar. I think it just makes it easier if you do, less kneading. I color after the MMF is completly mixed. icon_biggrin.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 6

I usually make smaller batches. There is a recipe around here that I posted for a small batch of MMF it only uses 1C of marshmallows. I can mix it all in a bowl by hand pretty easily.

let's see if I can find it again...

Ahh took a bit but found an old topic with it posted. HTH
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-30773-batch.html

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 6

You don't HAVE to add the color before you knead in the powdered sugar, it's just easier to do it that way. But whenever I need multiple colors, I just make white fondant and knead in the color, same as I would with store bought fondant.

I tried making MMF once, but thought making regular fondant was way easier, and even cheaper. It's essentially the same stuff, anyway (look up the ingredients for making homemade marshmallows and look at a recipe for homemade fondant and you'll see what I mean). But I find homemade regular fondant easier to make and use, and far less messy than MMF.

mmkwynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmkwynne Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:38pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the link, I may have to try this as well!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%