To Sift Or Not To Sift?

Business By missmeg Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 12:42am by beachcakes

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 40

For those who use powdered sugar, do you sift it prior to adding to your BC?

I always have. Occasionally I still get a clogged tip from some PS pebble stuck. It certainly takes longer to make BC that way (especially if doing a large cake) but I like knowing my BC will be as smooth as possible.

What about you?

39 replies
Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:03pm
post #2 of 40

I sift everything including box mixes.

I've found foreign objects in both box mixes and powdered sugar bags.

It take a touch more time but is well worth it to catch things before it's baked and sold.

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 40

I also sift everything. If I don't sift my cake mixes, my sister says she gets clumps of "flour" in her mouth. No one else does, but if someone notices, then I think it's something that needs to be done.

Carolyn, what do you mean by "foreign objects"? Kind of scares me...

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 40

I sift powdered sugar for BC. I find that it makes a much smoother BC when the sugar is sifted.

johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 40

I dont sift anything...................pd sugar,flour...it takes up to much time! icon_razz.gif

imnamor95 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imnamor95 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 40

I ALWAYS sift my powdered sugar, I was taught that to avoid little bumps and easier flowing bc to do that. I don't sift the cake mixes or flour, though.

mommyandlovinit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandlovinit Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 40

i don't sift either, but after hearing about the foreign object thing i might change my mind

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 40

One of my dirty little secrets is that I have a brand new sifter in my cabinet that has never been used...I never have the time to sift anything with a toddler running around!

When the day comes that I do cakes for paying customers, I will take more time and do things like sifting. But right now when I am just doing cakes for pracitice for friends & family, I just don't have the time.

Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:35pm
post #9 of 40

I know of a few others who have found things in box mixes and I'm sure when they see this they'll post.

In box mixes I've found a scew head, hard plastic, and occasional strands of hair.

In powdered sugar I've found a piece of hard plastic, a small bolt, an acrylic nail tip (not mine I can't afford to get them done), and small clumps of crystalized sugar.

The funny part this was just recently since the last thread about this where I wasn't consistantly sifting my powdered sugar and I had never sifted my cake mixes from the box.

Since my first find after that thread I am now a dedicated sifter of everything that isn't a liquid.

Since I am not a hobbyist and am in the process of getting my home kitchen legalized for a home bakery I can't afford for something like this to pass through my baking process and be found by a customer.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 40

i hate the pellets on bc when you don't sift...I am a sifter!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:45pm
post #11 of 40

I can't believe you've found foreign objects in your cake mixes. Just curious, have you noticed it worse in a particular brand?

I always sift my powdered sugar. Growing up, my mom would get after me if I didn't it and I still hear her voice in my head when I even think about being lazy. icon_biggrin.gif It does yield a much smoother icing because anytime I ignore the voice I pay for it later with clumps.

am2pm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
am2pm Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:54pm
post #12 of 40

I just sifted all my ps last weekend for two cakes. Now my hand is so sore that I am having problems with it - shooting pains etc. There is nothing worse then standing there squeezing that little handle for half a day! How do you all do it?
Peggy

Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:03pm
post #13 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

I can't believe you've found foreign objects in your cake mixes. Just curious, have you noticed it worse in a particular brand?

I only use one brand. icon_lol.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:07pm
post #14 of 40

I just sifted 6 lbs of ps last night for my next 4 cakes. I have never found any objects in sugar or flour but I use vanilla waffers for my cheesecake crust and I found a small metal object in a box once.
It was a little scary to my, the things people said they found in the ps so I sift.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:12pm
post #15 of 40

I sift my powder sugar - never found anything it. I usually will 8 - 10 lbs to get it out of the way. Then treat my self to a nice soak in a warm bubble bath and relax.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:18pm
post #16 of 40

I only time I've ever sifted was when I was growing up and learning to cook. Some how just grew out of it. I've recently - 2 weeks ago, started to sift again to see if there may be a difference.

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #17 of 40

I never use to sift my ps but lately I have found small lumps in my ps. I always use Domino ps and the lumps have just shown up in the last year or so. I don't know if this is something else they have changed the formula on and now it clumps easier or not. I don't normally sift my cake mixes, but I do put them in the mixer and run it for a minute or so before adding anything else to it. That seems to break up any lumps in the mix and tends to insure a smoother batter.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:32pm
post #18 of 40

Does anyone use the strainer method I see several cooks on th eFood Channel do? Just pour in a strainer and tap the sides. Seems much easier than squeezing the handle on a sifter.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:25pm
post #19 of 40

I never sifted my PS for BC, until last month. Made some BC, tinted it red, and found these nifty sugar clumps all over. icon_mad.gif So I thought, ok, I'll let it sit as the color develops, and maybe the lumps will absorb moisture and go away! icon_rolleyes.gif Nope, and since I was without transportation and short on time, I ended up pushing it all through a strainer with my bowl scraper. Messy, and a lot less time consuming than sifting the PS to begin with. My lesson learned. icon_biggrin.gif

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:30pm
post #20 of 40

I don't usually sift-just occasionally, but I think I might start sifting more often now because of the lumps in the powdered sugar, like kaecakes said. Last time I sifted, I put my metal strainer over my KA bowl-fit perfectly-and sifted that way, just knocking the side of the strainer until it was all sifted. Another way that I have seen on Food Network is have a piece of parchment paper at your workplace and sift your powdered sugar or cake mix onto the paper, then bring up each end to make a "fold"
in the paper, then pour it into your mixing bowl-doesn't cause a big mess either. Another thing-nothing to do with sifting-I made a cake last weekend-2 9x13 put together to make 1 big cake-and I beat the eggs, oil and water first, then poured in the cake mix (wasn't sifted) and the batter came out perfect! Smoothest batter I have ever seen, just by beating the liquids first! I did not do that with the other cake I was doing and noticed a big difference with the lumps.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:30pm
post #21 of 40

Sifting does not just remove lumps. The difference between a cup of sifted flour and a cup of flour, sifted, is about 1/4 cup, per this link:

http://www.uen.org/Lessonplan/preview.cgi?LPid=1193
Flour :
- level off with straight not the curved edge; there is difference between a spatula and knife
- sifted - a difference between sifted and non-sifted exists (1/4 cup extra/cup)

For those who go by weight, this site shows the diff between sifted and non-sifted flour in grams:
http://www.joyofbaking.com/flour.html
All-Purpose Flour:
1 cup = 140 grams
1 cup sifted = 115 grams

Cake Flour:
1 cup = 130 grams
1 cup sifted = 100 grams

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:42pm
post #22 of 40

Funny you should ask: I just started sifting my box cake mixes (usually Dunkin Hines brand) last week because I read another post that said it'll make a smoother batter.

Today I found a little flour bug and several small bits of an unidentified substance...I'll assume that they are just hardened pieces of cake mix. I tasted them to see if it was salt or whatever, but they were so hard that I couldn't bite into them and they had no flavor. Who knows? icon_confused.gif

I gave up on the hand sifter long ago because it's frustrating and a lot of work. I use a piece of parchment paper and sift the powdered sugar or cake mix onto the paper.

Jenni2383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenni2383 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:41pm
post #23 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

Does anyone use the strainer method I see several cooks on th eFood Channel do? Just pour in a strainer and tap the sides. Seems much easier than squeezing the handle on a sifter.

I do that sometimes but I think it takes longer than my crank sifter.

b-radz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
b-radz Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:53pm
post #24 of 40

I always sift my box mix with a large strainer over the mixing bowl. Very quick and easy! I find that it really improves the texture of the cake. I normally don't sift for buttercream but do for my RI. Not sure why, just have always done it that way.

b-radz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
b-radz Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:54pm
post #25 of 40

I always sift my box mix with a large strainer over the mixing bowl. Very quick and easy! I find that it really improves the texture of the cake. I normally don't sift for buttercream but do for my RI. Not sure why, just have always done it that way.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:46pm
post #26 of 40

I sift PS (and all dry ingredients).. the one time I didn't sift my PS I ruined a batch of gumpaste because there were these pebbles in the PS.. big ones too.. like 1/4 inch and smaller. It sucked. I was picking pebbles out and just gave up because there were so many.. I sifted the other bag I bought and the same thing.. they were white and some were grey and looked rock-ish. I use a fine mesh strainer to sift.. those squeeze models are torturous to use. Just put it in and shake-a shaek-a shake-a. icon_biggrin.gif

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:04am
post #27 of 40

I never sifted anything I used. When I definetly had to sift I used a small strainer, killed my wrists. But for the cakes and icings now...never sift.

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:43am
post #28 of 40

I was just looking on KitchenKrafts.com website and saw that they have a battery-powered sifter-$19.95 and requires 1 AA battery (not included). This would probably be a life saver for those of you wearing your hands out or don't have time! Also, it says it holds 4 cups-that is a box of powdered sugar!! Just thought you might like to know! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:57am
post #29 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie2500

I was just looking on KitchenKrafts.com website and saw that they have a battery-powered sifter-$19.95 and requires 1 AA battery (not included). This would probably be a life saver for those of you wearing your hands out or don't have time! Also, it says it holds 4 cups-that is a box of powdered sugar!! Just thought you might like to know! icon_smile.gif

I told hubby weeks ago that I wanted a battery powered one for Christmas .... or sooner!!

Right now I use the crank kind ... I think it's much better than the squeeze-the-handle kind. Besides, it's the kind I remember seeing my gramma use! icon_wink.gif

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:06am
post #30 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

I only use one brand. icon_lol.gif

Now what brand is that? Just curious...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%