Royal Icing Dilema

Decorating By Dawanka Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 6:53pm by Dawanka

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 5

I have made royal icing 3 times first time for my wilton class and came out great. 2nd time was also for class and somehow ended up with grease and this last time it is almost like foam icon_cry.gif . I don't know what to do to remedy the problem. I have my test cake soon and I'm stuck. Anyone have any suggestions.

4 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 5

Foam? icon_eek.gif Oh my what did you do? icon_biggrin.gif

Well here is what I would do, get yourself one egg white, start with about 1-3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar a teaspoon lemon juice and beat with a fork. Add more powdered sugar till you reach the consistancy you prefer. Hint, if the RI appears yellow you do not have enough sugar so keep adding. It should be light, fluffy, and slightly stiff. About 5 minutes vigously.

Also if you are concerned about the risk of consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness per Food Network: To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 5

deleted duplicate

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 5

If you got even a molecule of grease in there and the icing isn't coming together, it never will. There's no fix. You throw it out and clean the heck out of EVERYTHING and make a new batch.

Dawanka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dawanka Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the info on the egg white version I will give it a try; as for the grease I don't think any got in b/c they dried fine. They just look like I made them with crayola craft foam and not iciing. REALLY STRANGE!! Mom said never saw anything like it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%