Not Only A Cake Related Question

Decorating By LauraS Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 12:59pm by chovest

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:26pm
post #1 of 11

Hi All,

Well thanks to the many wonderful suggestions that I received from CC ( I LOVE DOING THIS CLASS) , I am half way though teaching cooking classes at my local Adult education and they have asked me to teach again in the spring. lol, now they want to know what i am going to teach. I have already setup. Sollo Cooking ( cooking for one) , Vegetarian and Vegan Cooking and another easy desserts class.

My questions is , what would you like to see taught if you were going to attend?

I was thinking a Cupcake class, Not your Mothers Cupcakes, and doing a twist on cupcakes?
any ideas will be welcome. and thank you in advance.

10 replies
elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 11

as a vegetarian, i would like to see classes taught on how to prepare vegetarian dishes that are yummy! so often, when you ask for vegetarian, you get HEALTHY recipes. vegetarian doesn't have to be healthy all of the time!!! i want flavor!!! add some fat....veggie of course!

bec_elias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec_elias Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 11

I personally would definately take a cupcake decorating class. I think that sounds like fun.

I would also like to find a cake decorating class that incorporates creativity and the more difficult decorating like carving.

Just another idea, I would like to take a cooking class that teaches me how to make and freeze different dishes that don't require a ton of ingredients. I have a book that is supposed to tell you how to cook for two days and be able to freeze enough for 30 days. It's supposed to save money and time, but I suck at cooking and a class would be so much better. That might be a stupid idea, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 11

bec_elias -sounds like a great idea. I've heard of that type of cooking but haven't done it. But now, I'm at a point in my life that I'm just tired of cooking everyday and cooking for just two days for the rest of the month sounds wonderful.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 11

I'm not a vegetarian but I think that one's a good idea. I get a number of brides looking for vegetarian dishes for their buffet and I just feel limited to pasta and veggies. I would love some exposure to some really good dishes that don't look like a cheap substitute for "real" food.

I am so impressed by how many brides are considerate of their many vegetarian friends and are looking for buffets that are appealing to ALL of their guests!

LauraS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraS Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 11:55am
post #6 of 11

Thank you so much for the ideas. I love the idea of cooking in two days for the month, i am going to look into that. I am open to any recipes for Vegetarian cooking that anyone can offer. I have added to my list a chocolates class and Irish cooking class. the problem is the classes are for 3 hours and there is only so much you can fit in. but i am off to look at cooking for the month.

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 11

I like the idea of the fix ahead type meals. I have been to one of the businesses that does that kind of thing.

(For those who haven't heard of this: Super Suppers and Dream Dinners are the two franchises I'm aware of. The locations vary and may only be in certain regions. The premise is you choose 6-12 dinners from their menu for the month. You then go in and assemble your dinners there. You are able to customize the recipe to your families taste. Then you take the dinners home and freeze them. A day or two ahead of time, you take them out and place in the fridge. Once thawed, most cook in 30 min.)

I have given Super Suppers a try and I loved the idea. I stay home with my four girls, so I try to save money where I can. Instead of doing it there, I do the same thing at home. I take recipes I have (or both offer cookbooks - I found the Dream Dinners cookbook to be more fitting to the idea...The Super Suppers cookbook required cooking many dishes ahead of time and freezing (yuck!). Anyway...I look at it as if I'm taking time to make dinner, why not prepare the same meal more than once, just freeze the extras. You don't necessarily do a months worth in a day or two.

If you'd like some recipes ideas that work well, or more information let me know. (Just to clarify...I am not affiliated with either company in anyway...I just love the idea of making dinner more enjoyable.)

With all of the families that have two working parents (or for single parents) I think this idea will become a growing trend. Just my opinion though. icon_biggrin.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm
post #8 of 11

We have one of those type business in our area it's called "Dinner By Design" I first heard about that concept on on of the Food Network shows, I've been toying with the idea of trying it, can you let us know what it costs?

jibbies

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:50pm
post #9 of 11

We've had these businesses pop up in my area ...... and they are closing just as fast. It seems to be a trend or a fad that is short lived. (got the scoop from one of my supplier reps, who told me these businesses were closing as fast as they were opening.) So if you like them, patronize them to keep them open. thumbs_up.gif

chovest Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:47pm
post #10 of 11

I'd check their website or call. It's been a year since a actually went. I think 6 dinners were about $65 and 12 dinners about $115 (not positive.) I just tried to double check their site for pricing and I can't find it right now. It does say that it averages $3-$3.50 per serving. Keep in mind that most of these are only the main dish. You still need to provide a side yourself.

chovest Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:59pm
post #11 of 11

I'd love to make all of my dinners there, unfortunately my budget doesn't allow. I'm glad to be home with my girls though! icon_smile.gif

I did have one of the parties there with friends and I know some of them are regulars. Hopefully it all evens out. The location I visited is very quickly growing, they are in a town where people have more money than time though. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%