Quick Question Before I Cover A Cake With Fondant...

Decorating By armywife1 Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 12:02am by Biya

armywife1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 6

I put a crumb coat on and put it in the freezer for a while. Then I put a regular layer of frosting on it and put it back in the freezer. Now, how long after I take it out of the freezer do I have to wait before I cover it with fondant? I really do not want to mess this up!!! Thanks in advance!!! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
katgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katgal Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 6

I usually don't wait, just get right to it. Of course, don't put it back in the fridge or freezer after covering w/fondant (please don't be insulted, not sure if it's your first fondant cake or not.)

Hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 6

I personally dont like to cover cakes that are really cold or frozen. It just didn't very well for me. Sometimes I will chill them for a bit though. I know others have had good luck with it however.

Charmaine49 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmaine49 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 6

From what I have read and seen on CC, they say you should put your fondant on to your crumb base, as this acts as a glue for the fondant
to stick to the cake.
I personally would not put it into the freezer to chill, the fondant won't
stick to it then.

chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 6

I was recently pressed for time and hesitantly covered a cake with fondant that was still partially frozen in the center. The outside was thawed, so I think that is what made the difference. I didn't have a problem with condensation, the outside wasn't cold to the touch. I'm not sure how smooth your BC layer is, but it will be easier to smooth it out under the fondant if it isn't frozen hard. Hope this helps.

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:02am
post #6 of 6

I don't freeze either I do put it in the fridge for a while so the icing is not shifting under the fondant while I smooth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%