Cookie House Replica

Baking By krazykat_14 Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 2:17pm by krazykat_14

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I'm so excited I just can't contain myself! Since I have no life, I decided to recreate my house, 18th century Victorian farm house, in cookie!!! Ok, mostly I was bored and had a few ideas I wanted to try out before Christmas got here... Anywhoo, I was showing my boss pics of the actual house and the cookie house side by side and made myself all wiggly because it looks SO close!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Please take a look: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1151886&done=1

I did realize a few interesting things that might help others that I want to share with the group.

1) when making a pattern, use corrigate cardboard to assemble it before hand to make sure things fit. I used poster board and forgot that cookies don't like to fit together directly at the corners, so my cookies didn't fit together exactly the way I wanted them to.

2) I ran out of cookie dough when cutting out pieces, so I used dried lasagne noodles instead. Unfortunately, it doesn't like to cut in a straight line... and the ruffles on the edges are pretty when sticking out, but not so great underneath another layer-they won't lay flat!

3) Another thing about the noodles: if you put them in hot water to soften them so they bend, even if you pat them dry, they will still have a lot of moisture and ruin RI and it will run down your house. And when they dry, they like to curl! Hence, my front porch roof.

So the lasagne noodles were being evil and they were bright yellow-which wasn't spooky enough for a Halloween house, so I decided to cover them in green MMF! It would have been perfect if I had just a little more... ran out of that, too... so one side of the roof that I did get to make out of cookie got embossed with a brick mat and painted green... I think it turned out even better than the MMF...

I still have a bunch of ghosts and a few witches to add to the house, and I'm going to try to clean up the seams somehow, but I just got so excited I wanted to show everyone!!! I'm my own worst critic, I can still see TONS of flaws, but even I'm excited about this! Not bad for a second try!!! thumbs_up.gif

5 replies
7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:48am
post #2 of 6

The warped porch roof is perfect for a haunted house!

krazykat_14 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 6

Alrighty! Here it is all finished, landscaped and witches and ghosts in place! I'm so excited about how it turned out!

I even took the various views and put them in one pic-I think it turned out pretty good! Now, another question: I have this "new view" of my finished house, is it ok to put it in My Photos? I don't want to step on anyone's toes... icon_redface.gif

Ok, I added it. I figure it still falls under the "two pics" rule, so I'm ok, besides, they're different views at different stages... take a look here: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1152553

Thanks!!!
LL

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 6

Very cool! Great job and add the additional picture for sure!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:14am
post #5 of 6

What evil little witches - smiling as they dunk that poor little ghost into their pot!
My house looks like that - spiders everywhere... shudder.... Image

krazykat_14 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 6

They aren't evil because they're dunking the ghostie- they're brewing up more ghosties... he's rising out of the cauldron-and if you look closely, there are bats flying out of it, too... ok, the pics didn't turn out quite right, maybe I should have coated the wires in black RI to make them not shiney... but there are two little bats doing loop-de-loops out of the cauldron...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%