Going To Ship Cookies And I Am Terrified!

Baking By Peeverly Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 3:55am by mkcraig

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 7

Okay, got to ship some cookies (60 of them). I am really scared that they are going to be ruined by the time the get there. I have read some of the posts and I have a plan. I am going to send them through the post office priority 2 day. I will put them in cello bags (they are rectangle shape so they should be pretty durable), wrap bubble wrap around them, tape them to cardboard then layer them in the box with lots of bubble wrap around them. I will also add peanuts to the box. Any thoughts on this? Why is bubble wrap so expensive. Anyone have a good source for it that is relatively inexpensive? Any help I can get to get these cookies to my friend would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 7

That is exactly How I have shipped, and I have shipped cookie boquets also. The only thing I don't do is tape them to cardboard. Once you add in the peanuts, close tape loosely and do the shake test.

You shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure you put a note in the very top about how everything is packaged and howmany there are so they don't miss anything and throw it away.

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 7

I would suppose it depends on what kind of cookies you're sending. If they're fancy decorated sugar cookies, go for what you've already said... I ship cookies to my son at school quite often and just chuck them in a ziploc baggie, squash them in a flat-rate box with whatever else he "needs" (candy, magzines, more candy) and tape it up! I usually send Choc Chip or Gingersnaps, though. icon_lol.gif

Ok, so my advice isn't worth doodley, but do get the flat-rate box. No matter how much it weighs (up to 70 lbs!) it only costs $8.10 to ship priority. It's not a bad sized box, either, unless you want to send your friend 600 cookies, it's a good cookie/care package size.

Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:14am
post #4 of 7

Thanks Leily and Krazykat. I appreciated your help. Krazykat, on the priority mail package does this mean that it will get to its destination in 2 days?

krazykat_14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykat_14 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 7

Yuppers, Priority means 2 days. When you're about to mail it, you should weigh it ahead of time and use the USPS web site to see how much it will be, the flat-rate seems to have gone up to $8.95, so if the box is under 5#, it might be cheaper to not use the flat-rate box! Oh, while you're on the USPS site, check out the Postal Store, you can get FREE boxes! They've got some limited quantities, i.e. only packs of 10 or 25, but they don't go bad and you'll have them on hand!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:39am
post #6 of 7

That's what I did basically. I wrapped each cookie in bubble wrap (they were in cello bags) like an envelope and taped it shut. I lined the box with bubble wrap and stacked the cookies in. Another layer of bubble wrap on top. They were packed in so that they didn't shift at all in the box. I think that is key; no moving around, no breaking. I was told they were in perfect condition, but they weren't going very far. I shipped via the post office too.

mkcraig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkcraig Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 3:55am
post #7 of 7

I recently overnighted some decorated sugar cookies from Seattle to San Diego, and they all made it intact. I did basically what you are talking about - each one in a cello bag, then in bubble wrap. I put all the cookies in a box, then but that box in a little bit bigger box surrounded by styrofoam peanuts. Then give it a shake and make sure you can't hear anything move. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%