Is It Just Me?....

Decorating By kathys90 Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 12:27pm by 4them

kathys90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathys90 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 13

Or does it seem like whenever someone here is having a hard time with a customer and needs to vent that the "why don't they just go buy a box mix and do it themselves" card is always drawn like an insult?

I'm sorry, maybe I'm a little touchy due to lack of sleep, but I really think that I decorate cakes just as nice as some of my friends who bake from scratch. Yes, I use box mixes, because my dog won't eat my scratch cakes!

I know some posters think this is a cop out, but I work full time, take care of a disabled husband, a house, and 3 dogs....not to mention my kids when they come home from college (I know, at that age shouldn't they be taking care of themselves?). I don't have the time or the money to invest in practicing scratch cakes. And then who would eat them, the diabetic disabled DH, or me...and believe me, I'm already as big as a house!

I think its wonderful that so many here have such a wonderful talent as to bake from scratch....my cookies and cheesecakes get raves....but please, oh please, don't knock those of us who bake cakes from a mix.

Thank you for letting me vent, and please don't be offended, as I said, I got very little sleep last night. Please take my observations with a grain of salt.

12 replies
MissNeishaGyrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissNeishaGyrl Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 13

Kathy I think that they say that because many box mixes are fool proof is you can follow directions. It is not about you using a box mix and decorating, it about the disrespect for the time and effort that goes in to cake decorating. I hope you got some rest, it sounds like you have a full plate.

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 13

Sorry to hear you had a short night. That always makes things harder to deal with.

I don't think they mean it as an insult (at least I hope not, as I also use box mixes frequently)--I think it's more like, "If it's so easy and quick, get a mix and do it yourself." Then maybe the person causing the problem would realize how disrepectfully their attitue is, or how much more goes into the process than they realize.

Hang in there, and hopefully you can get caught up on your rest soon. Sending you a ((hug)) and positive thoughts.

girltrapped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girltrapped Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 13

I use box mixes as well and doctor them up a little. Have to admit that baking the cake is the easy part, it's all the decorating and details we put in them that make them fantastic. You are not doing anything wrong or taking shortcuts. I feel the point alot of people are making is if customers think its as easy as buying a box mix and a tub of icing...then let them do it themselves. Your cakes have more than that to them and definately do not fall in the same category. Hope you get some rest and know that I am on your side. Keep caking! Box or scratch...doesn't matter! thumbs_up.gif

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 13

i think the majority of people here use mixes and just don't tell their customers? at least that's how it's seemed in previous conversations. what they're talking about is the actual art of decorating with bc and/or fondant that the general public takes for granted.

don't take offense, because i've never seen a decorator intentionally try to put down another decorator, so i know they didn't mean it as an insult to us, just lousy customers.

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 4:58pm
post #6 of 13

besides, a box is just pre-measured scratch ingredients. icon_wink.gif

kathys90 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 13

MissNeishaGyrl, I'm certain that you are right....

I would never discount the effort that goes into making them from scratch. I am in awe of scratch bakers, because I know that no living, breathing species, with the possible exception of flies, would eat one of my bricks!

I just wish there were a better way of expressing their frustrations then that.

Again, sorry to vent in this manner, but I knew you would all understand.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 13

i have only done 1 scratch cake...all mine are doctored up box mixes. we have to realize...not everyone likes scratch cake and not every one likes box mix. they're both good. you just have to experiment and make it your own!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 5:17am
post #9 of 13

OK well I have to apologize because I had a rant about a customer and I said in one of my posts that she could go and buy a boxed mix AND a can of icing...but I didn't mean that using a box mix was bad....I mainly meant the decorating part....or I tried to come off that way....I am sorry I didn't mean to offend you in any way icon_sad.gif

My apologies

Christi

kathys90 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 13

Christi,
I appreciate that. I was having a bad day yesterday, taking things a bit too personally, and, if it was you, don't worry about it.

I have all of my faculties this morning, and the sun is coming up beautifully.

No worries! Hakuna Matata!!!!

Kathy

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:18pm
post #11 of 13

Kathy-a few LONG threads in the past have been because a customer actually used the phrase "it's only cake mix and frosting...how hard can it be" and several other variations of that phrase. I think when somebody is having a hard time with a customer, "we" say that as a joke. I think it's just a phrase to make us giggle because we know better. It's not just cake mix. It's hours of painstakingly creating a masterpiece and not everybody can do that...even though those hard to deal with customers think they can.

I hope today is a terrific day for you. We ALLLL have THOSE days!! thumbs_up.gif

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm
post #12 of 13

I use a box mix and I am in awe of everyone who decorates the cake. Box ain't so bad as I know that some hard working food technologist written out a formula (recipe) to make a fantastic box mix that is (as mentioned before scratch ingredients) fool proof for me icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif .
The decorating part that I envy all you guys for is not so fool proof so to me it's not just cake.. It's awsome art....

That is soooo sweet Kathy that you look after your kids when they come back from college. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Glad you've had some sleep.

Leigh

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:27pm
post #13 of 13

majority of the people here know that rant is just a figure of speech out of frustration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%