Michele Foster's Fondant With Coffee Creamer?

Decorating By bec_elias Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 7:38pm by Sugarflowers

bec_elias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec_elias Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 10

Is it possible to substitute the milk with coffee creamer for different flavors with this recipe? Would that reduce the shelf life? I have read so many good things about it and I can't wait to try it, but I don't want to mess it up...

9 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 10

Using liquid coffee creamers in place of the liquid is a good idea. This will give you a wide range of new flavors.

The shelf life will be the same. If you are concerned, triple wrap it in plastic and then place it in an airtight container, and then freeze. Let it come to room temperature overnight before using it.

I'm sure many people will love the new flavors of fondant. Let us know how it tastes.

Michele

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 10

I'm sure many people will love the new flavors of fondant. Let us know how it tastes.

Michele[/quote]

Hi Michele,
I just tried your recipe for the first time last night & I couldn't stop eating it! I think that it was pretty easy to make as well. I let it set overnight, and when I went to use it today, it was kinda crumbly (non-stretchy). I made half a batch & followed the recipe exactly (except I forgot the salt). For half recipe, I used about 2lbs of powered sugar. I stopped adding it when the fondant was not sticky. I added a little gumtex to make some flowers. I really don't think that it would work to cover an entire cake surface. I also added a little Crisco to make it more flexible. Can you tell me what I may have done wrong? What kind of milk do you use?
Thanks so much!

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 10

This recipe does not work well with just a half batch. Two pounds of powdered sugar was probably too much.

Knead some glycerin into what you have to see if that will make it more pliable. You could probably knead in some shortening to help as well.

Michele

bec_elias Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 10

Wow Michele, thank you so much for answering my question. I though about PMing you but didn't want to be a bother.

That is so cool, I can't wait to see what flavors I can make with this. I will let you know... thumbs_up.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:21pm
post #6 of 10

I don't mind questions at all about the fondant or anything else I might be able to help someone do. Anyone is welcome to PM. It's not a bother. However, I do work a part-time job and don't always get time to use the computer, so I may not be able to respond quickly.

Michele

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:01am
post #7 of 10

This may be a dumb question, but do you think it would be possible to add powdered creamer to the milk when heating (to dissolve) & it turn out ok? B/c I don't know if you've tried it, but CoffeeMate has a Blueberry Cobbler that is soooooooo good & if I could make it into a fondant, OMG I might eat the entire batch!

bec_elias Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 10

mmmmm, blueberry cobbler fondant and lemon pound cake. This could be very bad..... icon_biggrin.gif

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:16pm
post #9 of 10

I have a silly question. Being that this recipe has milk in it, does it have same shelf life as MMF or Toba's? Or is it like BC and it's okay since there is so much sugar in it?

Sugarflowers Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy114

I have a silly question. Being that this recipe has milk in it, does it have same shelf life as MMF or Toba's? Or is it like BC and it's okay since there is so much sugar in it?

You got it. Sugar is a wonderful thing isn't it? In SO many ways. icon_biggrin.gif

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%