Satinice Fondant

Decorating By peragano Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 12:41pm by peragano

peragano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peragano Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:29pm
post #1 of 8

Hello all,

I have recently started using SatinIce Fondant. I'm finding that more often than not, I am getting "elephant skin". Does anyone know how to deal with this?

I am properly storing it, etc, but not sure why this is happening.

Thank you.

7 replies
vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 8

Make sure you don't roll it out on powdered sugar, it drys it out. Some people roll it out on Crisco, some on cornstarch.

Grease your hands up really well when you knead the Satin Ice to incorporate some shortening into the Satin Ice, that will help it. I have found that sometimes Satin Ice needs a little added to it.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:14pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdrsolo

Make sure you don't roll it out on powdered sugar, it drys it out. Some people roll it out on Crisco, some on cornstarch.

Grease your hands up really well when you knead the Satin Ice to incorporate some shortening into the Satin Ice, that will help it. I have found that sometimes Satin Ice needs a little added to it.

this is good to know!

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 8

I have tried two different premade fondants and haven't been too happy with either one. Satin Ice and Fondx, I love the idea that I am not spending time making it, however, I seem to get cracks in it much easier. I have kneaded shortening and still get them. The fondx seemed worse than the Satin Ice. It looked like dry chapped hands!! The cake I just did I used MMF and absolutely no cracks.

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 8

i always roll my satin ice (only kind i use) between 2 sheets of clear vinyl...no crisco and no conf. sugar. when i'm coloring it, i just use come crisco to keep it from sticking to me. again, no conf. sugar.

good luck!!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:01am
post #6 of 8

I have used both Satin Ice & Fondx, I love them both, never had a problem, I use a little shortening when I roll out the fondant, very little, or some cornflour. I never use powdered sugar so don't know if this is the problem. I haven't tried MMF yet.

MomoTyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoTyty Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:49am
post #7 of 8

I just used SatinIce for the first time. Before that I had used MMF and Wilton. I liked the SatinIce and it seemed to work very well. I did have a bit of a problem with it being a bit too soft but I just re-rolled it a bit thicker and let it set up for a few minutes before putting on the cake. I used just a bit of crisco and a 50/50 mixture of powdered sugar and cornstarch.

peragano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peragano Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have been using cornstarch/confectioners sugar. I will try the crisco.

Thank you again. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%