How Do You Get Past A Talent Plateau?

Decorating By TrinaH Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 1:00am by DelightsByE

TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:23am
post #1 of 12

I've been decorating for almost 2 years now.... and it just seems as though my "improvement" has stopped coming. I practice when I can between cakes that I actually need to make but it just seems as though I've stopped getting better and am in a lull ... but want to get SOOO much better. Any ideas for breaking out of the plateau

11 replies
Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:26am
post #2 of 12

I felt this way earlier in the year and kinda took a little break from decorating out of frustration. I had completed a project and was disappointed that I still noticed the same "mistakes" I'd noticed in similar projects all along. At that point, I resolved to take classes to develop my skills.

JenMom2Boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenMom2Boys Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:40am
post #3 of 12

I would do the same as the previous poster, take a class. Good luck!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:56am
post #4 of 12

yep, take a class. Have fun!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:49am
post #5 of 12

Are you stretching yourself? You've gotta go for things that you've never done before.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 12

Either take a class or go to the local Cake Club ie: ICES or find one near you

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 12

Try something totally different. If you're doing all buttercream cakes, give fondant a try. If you're doing nothing but cakes, give cookies a try. I used to concentrate mostly on cakes, until I started looking at all the beautiful cookies on this site. I started doing cookies 6 months ago, and am having a ball! The break has helped me to enjoy doing my usual assortment of cakes, too.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 12

I come here and look at the gallery I never fail to learn something new.

and then practice it...

TrinaH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrinaH Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:31pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone! I've taken Wilton classes 1, 2, and half of 3 but got sick and missed the last half.

I'll definitely keep working at it and keep practicing!

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:35pm
post #10 of 12

I am going to try my hand at gumpaste flowers. I am waiting on the teacher who taught me Wilton Courses 1, 2, and 3 last year to call me back and tell me when she is going to start the classes-last I heard, she was still waiting on supplies. She told me probably the middle of October, but here it is the end of October!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhh! I really wish I could afford the DVDs that Scott Clark Woolley offers on his amazing flowers! 1 DVD is $149! icon_surprised.gif Anyone want to help me buy the DVD? icon_lol.gif I am going to try to save up for it though. Maybe you could try doing flowers if you don't already-or if you do, go for more detailed flowers! HTH!!

JoJo40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo40 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 12:55am
post #11 of 12

TrinaH...I know exactly what you're saying. I've taken all available classes around my area and now I'm at a point where the classes are too basic for my need. It's a waste of time re-doing the classes I've had (other than just the practice). I need more advanced classes but none are available. I'm turning now to DVDs and they are a little pricey so can't afford to buy the really good ones. You and I are in the same predicament. I have an ICES group in the area that I joined but we only meet twice a year--but it's something.

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:00am
post #12 of 12

I was going to suggest classes but I see that is an already popular suggestion. I might recommend going to cake shows, you should be able to find one close enough for a road trip, depending on where you live.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%