Need Advise On Fondant Roses

Decorating By tmt Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 3:58am by superstar

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:10pm
post #1 of 11

I posted a cake I made for my MIL this weekend. I'd like to know how to make my roses more lifelike. If you wouldn't mind, I would love any help you can offer. Thanks very much

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1150828

10 replies
notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 11

I reccomend using gumpaste. You can roll it thinner than you can fondant. Some tips I learned in class to make them look more real is thin petals and make sure they flare at the end. Good Luck

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 11

first of all that cake is stunning............second of all if you want them to be more lifelike than you already have them you're gonna have to get ahold of some gumpaste (fondant can't be rolled as thin), you can roll it out super thin (almost transparent) and fold the petals back a touch so they look more natural!! You obviously know how to make the roses they look wonderful!!! I think you'll be amazed at how much more lifelike they'll be just by using gumpaste and getting the petals thinner!!

tmt Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:34pm
post #4 of 11

I have never tried gumpaste icon_sad.gif I want to but don't know where to start. Should I buy premade or make some?

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 11

The above is an excellent video on how to make roses. It is a two part video and definitely worth watching. I was taught to use 1/2 fondant 1/2 gumpaste and to roll it very thin. Then you use the ball tool to thin out the edges of the petals. Notice that she keeps the cut pieces covered because they will dry out very quickly.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:40pm
post #6 of 11

I actually prefer the look of your flowers than to the more life-like ones. icon_smile.gif

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:47pm
post #7 of 11

I haven't made gumpaste roses yet but I didn't have any problems rolling the fondant thin enough to do it that way. I just roll my fondant thin enough that I can read my mat through it, then I spend a good amount of time thinning and furling with my ball tool along the edges of the petals.

Here's a pic of the fondant roses I did in Course 3:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_867483.html

And here's the cake they are on so you can see them all together:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_887393.html

I hope that helps a little!
Anya

idali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idali Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 11

Wow, I watched the video and it is very informative. I have never worked with gum paste either so this is very helpful. Thanks.

tmt Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 12:23am
post #9 of 11

I watched part of the video too (thanks!) and I noticed that they are using a round cutter. is that how you make them or do you use a flower shaped cutter like in the wilton course book?

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 1:50am
post #10 of 11

http://www.wildflowersbylori.com/Meet%20Lori.htm

This video shows how to make roses and other flowers. These are the most realistic sugar flowers I've ever seen.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 3:58am
post #11 of 11

I always make my roses from gum paste, I have about 4 different methods of making them, but basically, you need to get the petals to have movement & to be really thin. There are quite a lot of roses in my gallery if you care to look, there are different kinds of roses. That video is very good, I never wet my work as much as she does & I usually make my center darker than the rest of the rose & then shade with chalk , petal & luster dust etc. I use Vodka for sticking my petals .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%