Working W/ Fondant

Decorating By abw2005 Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 9:51pm by Teekakes

abw2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abw2005 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, so I'm definitely a fondant newbie. I hate the Wilton fondant, and have ordered a pail of Satin Ice to work w/ for a cake I'm working on for my cousin this weekend. I've done a couple bows that have turned out ok, but nothing to rave about. I'm looking for the best fondant tips, what kinds work best, how much icing to put underneath, how to get it not to rip etc....any help would be very much appreciated!

3 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 4

Try looking at the videos on this site for good examples.

www.atecousa.com

The rest is mostly practice.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 4

For bows I would recommend that you use Wiltons premade gumpaste here is a bow I made a coupke of weeks ago with it
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1095933.html
After I cut out the pieces I brushed both sides with an everclear/ pearl luster dust mix, then I assembled. I stuffed the loops woth wadded up saran wrap and put wadded up saran wrap between the tails and the cake and left it that way overnight to dry.
As for the fondant I only use Satin Ice, I order mine from intotheoven,com
Hope this helps

Jibbies

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 4

Working with Fondant is fun and quite easy after you get used to it. It is very forgiving and a lot like working with playdough in my opinion.

To answer your specific questions; I use a generous layer of buttercream under the fondant. This way those that do not like fondant still have a nice bc to eat with their cake. Just be sure and put your bc on smooth and even. Remember, your fondant will only look as good as what is underneath it. Rough and bumpy cake surface will result in a rough bumpy fondant surface. A fondant smoother will be very useful for you.
Roll your fondant to about 1/8" inch thick and you should be fine and have no tearing problems. Be sure and roll your fondant out large enough so it covers the cake all the way down the sides. I have shortsided myself a couple of times and had to strrrreeeetch the fondant down to the bottom...........which can make the fondant tear so try to avoid rolling it out to small to begin with.

Yea, Wilton is not good but the Satin Ice is a good choice for purchased fondant. SI is easy to work with. If you can work with Wilton fondant then you will have no trouble working with SI because they are very similar in texture.
Do you have a fondant mat to work on so the fondant won't stick? I use either my large Wilton Fondant mat or my smaller silicon mat, depending on how large I need to roll the fondant out. While working with fondant keep your hands lightly greased. Keep a little powdered sugar or cornstarch handy for lightly dusting the surface of the fondant if it gets a little sticky while working with it.

I make my own fondant using Toba Garrett's recipe. It is a bit softer to work with but still not difficult and the flavor is wonderful.

HTH's a little.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%