How To Put A 12X18 2Nd Layer On Cake Without Breaking????

Decorating By cofeewoman Updated 28 Oct 2007 , 12:23pm by susies1955

cofeewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cofeewoman Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:05pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a b-day cake for my cousin's son and last night went to put the 2nd layer on and it broke!! I have decorated cakes for 14 years and never had this happen. So this morning I baked another and have decided to put into our upright freezer.
Any hints how to keep this 2nd layer from breaking? It is 12X18 and no one home to help me.
Help please!

10 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 11

Slightly freeze it to make it easier to handle.

I use a big cardboard. Some use an edge-less cookie sheet. Slide it under the layer, then just slide it off onto the bottom layer. Works great.

I like the cardboards because the cake seems to slide easier for me. I use the wax-coated boards. I've seen where some CC'ers coat the board or the baking sheet with p.sugar to help with the sliding.

A cooling rack "can" be used, but I find the cake is difficult to push/slide off of a cooling rack as opposed to a cardboard or baking sheet. Something about the holes in the rack, I guess.

cofeewoman Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you! Thank you! I have it on a cake board now on wax paper. I will flip it and remove that and use some confectionary sugar to make sure it will slide well.
Thank you so much for your quick reply!

cofeewoman Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you! Thank you! I have it on a cake board now on wax paper. I will flip it and remove that and use some confectionary sugar to make sure it will slide well.
Thank you so much for your quick reply!

cofeewoman Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 11

I did it without breaking this one! Thanks again!

cofeewoman Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 11

I did it without breaking this one! Thanks again!

shivs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shivs Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 11

I always stack my 12x18s. I cut the top layer in half. I place each half on then just push the seam together. It makes putting on the top layer so much easier!

shelly

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 5:04am
post #8 of 11

I always freeze my bigger cakes now and fill and stack frozen icon_biggrin.gif recover and let it come to room temp then ice....big life saver icon_biggrin.gif

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 8:55am
post #9 of 11

I'm sort of new and haven't gotten into moving big cakes but I'm wondering if my 14" x 16" Aluminum Bread/Pizza Peel with a long handle would work for this? Being aluminum I'm think that I would have to put something on it for the cake to slide off but not sure. I may have to give it a whirl with one of my small ones just to see how it goes.
Anyone tried one?
icon_smile.gif
Susie

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:16pm
post #10 of 11

Susie I have a big round "cake spatula" looks like a metal Pizza mover.....but it is for cakes...it works if you dust it with ps or something...but really the easiest way to move a bigger cake like that is while it is frozen. It being frozen doesn't affect your filling at all...just cover the whole cake and let the condensation build on the wrap icon_smile.gif

HtH's

Christi

susies1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susies1955 Posted 28 Oct 2007 , 12:23pm
post #11 of 11

Christi,
Thanks for letting me know that you have used one and to use ps on it. I think I will try it room temp first and see how it goes and if that doesn't work I'll freeze it up. I normally don't freeze cakes. I have froze two and the one I took out turned out fine. I'll be taking the other out soon. It has been in the feezer for three weeks. icon_smile.gif
Thanks again,
Susie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%