Fondant Newbie In Need Of Answers!!!

Decorating By sportsmom005 Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 4:59am by sportsmom005

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:11am
post #1 of 9

I was hoping to find yummy, pre-made navy blue fondant to purchase for a football helmet cake I am doing next month, but I haven't had any luck.

Is it hard to color pre-made fondant? Which store-bought fondant tastes the best? Is the white chocolate fondant any good and could I color that navy?
Am I better off just making my own fondant? I have never worked with it or made it before. I don't even have a stand mixer yet. How hard is it?
I would probably just use BC if I knew I could get it as smooth as I need it to be, but this is my first carved cake and I have no practice with either.

Whas should I do???

Thanks,
Chrisy

8 replies
tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:25am
post #2 of 9

making fondant is a little difficult if you are not use to working with gelatin and are not used to the consistency of fandant..I would suggest to by for the first time and get used to it first...Voloring fondant is not difficult but whe u go to darker color it does get a little more softer than usual..Chocolate fondant tastes great and it works just as good as regular fondant..And there is a lady in here her name is Sugarshack ...she made a viseo on how to make buttercream really smooth...I haven seen her video but i have seen her work and she is really good..I would recomend her...Good luck to you! thumbs_up.gif

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:29am
post #3 of 9

I have heard that Satin Ice makes every color available, I am not sure what website it is but I have seen it here, sorry!

Postal_Cakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Postal_Cakemaker Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:30am
post #4 of 9

I'd go with Satin Ice fondant. They sell many colors of fondant. Here's a link I found.

I'd look at the many forums on here on how to use fondant if you've never used it before. It can be tricky to use but once you get the hang of it it's easy.

Good luck and post pics of your cake when your done!!!

shelly150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly150 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:30am
post #5 of 9

I have just recently started using Satin Ice fondant and I love it! It's easier to work with than the marshmallow fondant that I was making myself. I dyed it blue for a cake that I made a couple of days ago and it turned out just fine. Good luck with your cake!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:38am
post #6 of 9

The first time I used fondant, it was Wilton's, just because I figured otherwise I wouldn't know if I'd made fondant "right" (and the good stuff wasn't convenient to buy). The ironic thing is, I still had no idea what I was doing, the darned stuff stuck to everything and was kind of wettish around the edges. I thought fondant was SUPPOSED to be sticky and unruly since the stuff I bought was sticky, so in reality it didn't help me much at all to use premade.

Having made MMF shortly thereafter, I can honestly say it's not that big of a deal to make it yourself. In your case, since you want navy blue and a LOT of it, you'd be able to give yourself a huge head start by adding the color in while it's still just melted MM rather than once the whole wad is dry. I personally have never even tried making it in a KA so it's certainly not a requirement, even if it can be a timesaver.

Certainly either way can work for you, if you can get your hands on some blue fondant and just get it to Navy, wow that will be a help. On the other hand, a pack of marshmallows and some powdered sugar are a cheap way to practice. Just grease up your hands and work area be prepared to knead until your eyes go crossed.

And the best tip I ever read was: if it still sticks to your hands/feels "tacky", it needs more PS. "Done" fondant should not stick to stuff unless you are really pressing it in (such as when you're rolling it out).

Good luck in whatever method you choose!

sportsmom005 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:38am
post #7 of 9

I've googled it every possible way and searched every cake supply website I have saved in my favorites and I've only been able to find blue, not navy blue.

Does Satin Ice fondant taste good? I've read all these horror stories about icky fondant-especially Wilton. If I can't find the navy, I'm thinking about ordering the white chocolate fondant and coloring it.

Still playing with cake flavors...since it's for a youth football team banquet I was thinking about chocolate cake with cookies and cream BC as the filling...

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:49am
post #8 of 9

If you get blue, you've got quite a head start towards navy then...

As for taste, I'm sure you'll get lots of answers anyway and you don't need my help (since I've never used Satin Ice!) but as little as I know about fondant I do know this: Wilton's is not really fondant, it is...how should I say...dog poop. LOL. Seriously, I don't think ANY fondant tastes as bad as that stuff does. I've read a bazillion posts here and everyone loves Satin Ice, Fondex (or is it fondx), Pettinice is another one I think... supposedly they all taste good. Most people here rave about Satin Ice, they are so shocked that fondant can actually taste so good. MMF tastes like marshmallows, because that's what it is.

Wilton is a product unto itself. I really think it's just some sort of flavored modeling paste. Humans, animals, even pests, nobody will eat that stuff! They really should put a disclaimer on it. It's good for practice, or for stuff you don't expect to be eaten.

Do not fear fondant, fondant is your friend. icon_wink.gif

sportsmom005 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:59am
post #9 of 9

Well, maybe I can use the Wilton for practice until I order the good stuff icon_lol.gif

Now how do I get from blue to navy? Do I use navy gel paste or something else...I think I read somewhere that navy is sky blue and violet or something like that.

What did I get myself into icon_rolleyes.gif?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%