Vegan Red Velvet Cake Request

Baking By kellertur Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 10:50pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:04am
post #1 of 7

Hi,
Does anyone have a Vegan Red Velvet cake recipe they can share? I've thougth about converting a "regular" recipe, but I'm not sure if I can use soymilk in place of buttermilk, etc.... some of these recipes call for things I just can't use.

So if anyone has one, I'd really appreciate any help.

thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:42am
post #2 of 7

Unfortunately, I don't know that it would turn out. Buttermilk is usually an "essential" ingredient when making an RVC.

newlywedws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlywedws Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:43am
post #3 of 7

Unfortunately, I don't know that it would turn out. Buttermilk is usually an "essential" ingredient when making an RVC.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:59am
post #4 of 7

Pennysue posted a recipe for a vegan chocolate cake here http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-561459.html

I know it's not red velvet if it's just chocolate cake+food coloring, but if you can't make it REAL without the buttermilk, then at least maybe it would work as a faux red velvet cake??

If this suggestion totally sucks, I apologize!

edited to add:
From about.com: "Replacing buttermilk: If a recipe calls for buttermilk, add one tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of soymilk to replace buttermilk and mix well. Itâs not quite as robust as buttermilk, but will have a similar flavor." http://vegetarian.about.com/od/vegetarianvegan101/f/MilkSubstitutes.htm

kellertur Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 7

Your reply doesn't suck at all... infact, I was very happy to see I received any responses at all. So thanks to both of you.

I'll try the vinegar trick... I didn't realize buttermilk was for flavor, as I've never tried it, so I appreciate the suggestions.

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 6:59pm
post #6 of 7

You're welcome, and you know of course that now that you posted about this, you HAVE to post the results icon_wink.gif

kellertur Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 7

Will do, Ceshell- thanks for your interest.

... and Newlywedws - cute avatar pic, and thanks for letting me know about the buttermilk element- why it is in the recipe because I had NO idea how important it was.

Take care and I'll post the results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%