Airbrush And Lusterdust

Decorating By bostonterrierlady Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 3:03pm by MiaT

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:04am
post #1 of 4

I believe Thanhh is the one who sprays her whole cake with luster dust with an airbrush. It is so pretty. Is this food safe? My mom and husband are going to get me an airbrush and I love this look and want to try it. What would use? Pearl dust?

3 replies
Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 10:42am
post #2 of 4

Hello, I use my airbrush all the time I LOVE it!! I use a little bit of alcohol like vodka and mix some of the powder in then I fill my cup and spray. It adds a beautiful touch.

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 11:01am
post #3 of 4

Yep...I have posted before that I am ADDICTED to airbrusting with luster/pearl dusts!!! It adds SO much to a cake; I don't do one now without at least finishing it off with a coat of pearl.

To answer your other question, the dusts are food safe. Also, when you are airbrushing you will find that you use such a small amount compared to when you paint it on or brush it on dry. I don't use very much alcohol, either...just enough to get it the consistency of the airbrush colors. The alcohol also evaporates, too, and will leave the luster dust dry on the cake.

HAVE FUN!!!!!! I love love love my airbrush!!!!!

MiaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiaT Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 4

I just tried this for the first time last week and it works great! I had to experiment a bit to get the pearl/extract mixture the right consistency, but it was worth it. It makes a cake look so elegant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%