Variation Of Wasc Using Spice Or Carrot Cake?

Decorating By erinalicia Updated 6 Dec 2011 , 5:41pm by kakeladi

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 20

I've made the WASC cake and I love the texture of it. I made it using the white cake mix and also using a chocolate cake mix. The chocolate didn't have the texture of the white, but it was still VERY good.

I'm making a pumpkin shaped cake for my grandmother's birthday (Halloween) and want to make it using either a spice or carrot cake. My question is about the flavoring. Do I just need to use the vanilla or is there something I can use in place of the almond extract?

Another question is what kind of filling would be a good compliment to the cake? I'm going to make a cream cheese icing for the outside. Thanks!

19 replies
2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 20

I too am making a pumpkin shaped cake spice cake and was wondering the same thing.
Or if anyone could recommend a good dense, moist carrot or spice cake to use for this.
I am using a pumpkin spice mouse filling for mine with the crusting cream cheese icing from this site.

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 20

mmm, that pumpkin spice mousse filling sounds delicious. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Mom_Of_4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom_Of_4 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 20

mmm, that pumpkin spice mousse filling sounds delicious. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

erinalicia Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 20

2sdae- that mousse filling does sound good. I was thinking of something like that for the filling. I haven't sat down to actually look up some recipes for it yet. Would love to see your recipe. Thanks!

2sdae Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:03pm
post #6 of 20

I use a very simplified version. I use Rich's better cream whatever amount I know I 'll need, I whip it very well.
Then I use Libby's pumpkin pie mix and add it to the Rich's according to how much pumpkin taste I want.
Then I refrigerate it to get it kinda like a whipped cream consistency and I put it right on.
I get rave reviews on this on fall cakes especially and Christmas time as well.

Any one have any good experiences with a moist, dense carrot cake or spice type cake they can share maybe? icon_biggrin.gif

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:29pm
post #7 of 20

there is a thread on here for pumpkin cake ... you may want to do a quick search. i'll see if i can find it!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 20

I made Earlene's Carrot cake just recently, and it was very good. http://www.earlenescakes.com/recipes.htm

Scroll down half way. It is called Caps Carrot Cake. It is a large recipe so I made half of it, and it made two nice 8 inch square layers. When I make it again, I think I will used golden raisins rather than nuts. But that's just a matter of taste. I froze one layer and it was absolutely fine when defrosted.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 20

Here's a thread on spice cake extenders:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-549343-.html

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

I use a very simplified version. I use Rich's better cream whatever amount I know I 'll need, I whip it very well.
Then I use Libby's pumpkin pie mix and add it to the Rich's according to how much pumpkin taste I want.
Then I refrigerate it to get it kinda like a whipped cream consistency and I put it right on.
I get rave reviews on this on fall cakes especially and Christmas time as well.

Any one have any good experiences with a moist, dense carrot cake or spice type cake they can share maybe? icon_biggrin.gif

2sdae, on page 3 of the thread, RECIPE EXCHANGE, http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5699638#5699638 You will find a recipe I posted called Holiday Pumpkin Pound Cake that is the perfect spice taste, it is moist, dense and absolutely divine to the taste buds! The two Pumpkin cakes in my album were made with this recipe and the big one is two very large Bundts put together. Report was there was not one single piece of that big ol punkin left........everyone loved it.
I am going to give your Pumpkin Mousse a try on this cake for our family Thanksgiving feast! It sounds wonderful!! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:33pm
post #11 of 20

Yes but what if you don't like pumpkin *WAHHHH* sniffle...what about just a spice cake? icon_biggrin.gif

Gotta love a whiner girls icon_biggrin.gif

Christi

allie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allie73 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:50pm
post #12 of 20

I think you could use the WASC recipe, but omit the almond extract and add 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. ground ginger, and 1/2 tsp. ground cloves (and 1/2 tsp. gr. nutmeg if you like it - I only like nutmeg in savory dishes). I think it would be delicious! I'll bet you could even add chopped walnuts if you wanted to.

If you wanted to add pumpkin to this, I know you could do it, but you'd have to play around a bit with the recipe. Maybe you could reduce the sour cream by 1/2 cup and replace it with 1/2 cup pumpkin?

If you make this, would you let me know how it turns out as I was thinking of doing the exact same thing for Thanksgiving this year? Thanks a bunch!

erinalicia Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:08am
post #13 of 20

allie73- I'll have to try your suggestion for the additional spices. My grandmother's birthday isn't until Halloween. I'm anxious to try the recipe though, so I may make have to make one to sample.

2sdae- What is Rich's better cream?

Thanks for the suggestions!

2sdae Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 9:55am
post #14 of 20

Rich's better cream is a non dairy cream you whip to make a rich vanilla tasting whipped frosting/ You can buy it frozen or pre whipped also I do belief.
here's their site and there are several places you can buy it from
http://rich.com/news.asp?action=read&id=93&status=2

I will be looking for those pumpkin ans spice cake recipes girls. Thanks!
thumbs_up.gif

erinalicia Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:41pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks! I'll have to look for that. My tummy doesn't do well with any kind of milk or "real" whipped cream. And your recipe sounds good. I think I'm going to have to go to the store to buy some ingredients. I've been craving something sweet! icon_smile.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 5:49am
post #16 of 20

[quote="allie73"]I think you could use the WASC recipe, but omit the almond extract and add 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. ground ginger, and 1/2 tsp. ground cloves (and 1/2 tsp. gr. nutmeg if you like it - I only like nutmeg in savory dishes). I think it would be delicious! I'll bet you could even add chopped walnuts if you wanted to.

What about just adding all spice? I think it has all the spices in it already?
I have to make a spice cake too and love the texture of the WASC.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 7:32am
post #17 of 20

Allspice is not really all those spices...it just seems to be:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allspice

2sdae Posted 9 Oct 2008 , 9:36am
post #18 of 20

I used the wasc recipe but I used spice cake mix, 2 pumpkin spice puddings<jello brand> and omitted the almond and used vanilla bean paste and used 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice which has the group of spices you would use for making pumpkin pies.
And subbed 1/2 of the white sugar with brown muscavado sugar...oh my goodness it was delightful and has become one of my most requested flavors for fall and used in many wedding cakes too. thumbs_up.gif

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 8:01am
post #19 of 20

2sdae: did your spice cake mix already have pudding in it prior to using the 2 pumpkin puddings?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2011 , 5:41pm
post #20 of 20

this is a very old post - check out the dates.
The *original* WASC recipe CAN be made w/a mix that has pudding in it. It really is not necessary to add more. Check out the original posting on this recipe.
Right now we cannot get to the recipes because of the updating work that is being done on this site or I'd post a link for you icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%