Adoption Cake Idea Please!

Decorating By heavenlys Updated 26 Oct 2007 , 12:26am by MommyEdzards

heavenlys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenlys Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 10

My brother and his wife have had Kade since he was not quite one. He is now 3 1/2. The red tape is finally cleaned up and they will officially be adopting him In November. I have been asked to make a cake for the party and I want to make something special.
He went through al ot in his little life. His bio mom is a meth head and didn't mind smoking around him as a baby so when shane got him he was all srtung out. He struggles a bit with things becasue of this but he is a loving sweet little boy and our family is very excited he will officially be ours.
So i am looking for ideas to make this cake really special. I have totally control of the design so hit me with some fun ideas.

Thanks
Julie

9 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 10

I was thinking of a childrens picture of a daddy,mommy and child holding hands. Make the house in the backround with the sun, trees, etc. I think even if you could get the little boy to draw it and then go get an edible image done that it would be more special.

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:29am
post #3 of 10

When you said "red tape" - I immediately pictured a cake with scissors cutting through red tape.

Sometimes when I do a cake for a child, I let them help design it, or in this case you could even re-create one of Kade's drawings of his family.

Good luck!

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:45am
post #4 of 10

i would design it as if a child drew a picture of a happy loving family. maybe use some markers on the fondant to make stickc people and very child like drawings with the words i love my mommy and daddy (if that is what the child calls them) and sign it with the childs name.

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 10

I've always liked the little verse that says "Never forget that you didn't grow under my heart, but in it". Don't know if that "shuts out" Dad, though, since it's from Mom's perspective. I like the idea of the child's drawing, too.

Verina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Verina Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 8:22am
post #6 of 10

Just off the top of my head I got this mental picture - maybe and describe it to you...

Bake a cake in the shape of a heart. Cut it into three random shaped pieces (one for daddy, one for mommy and one for the little boy) or more if there is brother and sisters. Decorate them in separate colours and assemble the heart afterwards to make a full heart shape again. Then add each family member's name to each different piece and make a banner that reads - "It's official - OUR FAMILY IS WHOLE"!

HTH

Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:17pm
post #7 of 10

That is SUCH a great design idea, Verina!!!!

Launa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Launa Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 11:59pm
post #8 of 10

I did an adoption cake this weekend for a couple that adopted 3 toddlers, but since I'm so computer illiterate, I can't figure out how to get the picture or the link onto this reply! Somebody please help me!!! You can look in my photos and see it. It's the one with stick people. I already have orders for more, so I guess they liked it!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:22am
post #9 of 10

Here is a cake that I did for a "Grandma Shower". The lady's son had adopted 3 kids, two 4-year-olds and a 5-year-old.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1054293

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 12:26am
post #10 of 10

Here is a poem that was inside my baby book.... I am adopted. Maybe you could incorprate it somehow.

Not flesh of flesh, nor bone of my bone
but still miraculously my own
Never forget for a single minute
You didn't grow under my heart
but in it.

Can't wait to see the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%