Please Help...pricing Dilemma!

Business By jenbakescakes Updated 24 Oct 2007 , 8:18pm by jenbakescakes

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:14am
post #1 of 4

This is my 1st paid cake, doing it for a friend of the family. She just asked me what I wanted for the cake and I have no clue! Unfortunetly I don't have a pic of it on here but I will describe it.....It's a stacked two tier cake for a 3 year old's bday. 10 inch cake with a 6 inch cake on top. Chocolate cake with homemade chocolate ganache filling, buttercream icing. Fondant figures of bugs and snakes and royal icing flowers. There are about 12 figures including dragonflies, butterflies, bees, snails, etc. Took me quite awhile to do, I'm still a little slow! I have no clue how to price this cake! Please help! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:44am
post #2 of 4

For a friend or family member I usually give a discount. However I would let them know what the actual price is then say I will charge you this amount, so they can see what it would actually cost.

With pricing it's easiest to go by serving. If you have a a 10" and 6" then that would serve ~ 38 (according to Earlenes cakes). Lets say if it were just buttercream & chocolate ganache without all the fancy details I would charge at least $3.00 or up per serving. Fancy fondant custom details & royal icing flowers is time consuming so the price hould be bumped to over $0.50 per serving.

It's up to you. I think what you can do is look up some local bakers in your area & see how much they charge. It may give you a better idea of where to start.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:21am
post #3 of 4

Checking out the local bakeries would be my suggestion too. Also the grocery store if they have a bakery. Where I live the grocery store is $1.75 per serving, $3.00 cheaper per serving than the only other bakery which is in the neighboring town.
The grocery store wouldn't be doing the extras you are - just a basic cake with their design. I would split the difference between the two bakeries, which in this case for my area, would come to $3.25 per serving.

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks to everyone that replied! I ended up getting $100 plus tip for the cake! I was very happy with that! I'm glad I came here and asked though cause I was thinking like $60! I tried to post the photo on here but the file is too big, so the pics are in my photos. I'm so mad at myself for not getting a pic when it was completly finished but the mom said she would send me one! Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%