How Do I Achieve The "perfect" Color?

Decorating By Melan Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm by amoos

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 7

I am needed to make royal icing that is a cobalt blue. I have a color swatch to go off of, doesn't have to be perfect but of course I want to get as close as I can. Is there any way to practice getting the right color w/o having to make a batch of icing? I use the Wilton colors that are like a gel consistancy and I never even know how much I am supposed to even add, I have only done one cake that didn't have white/ivory colored icing. So, please... any tips would be appreciated!

6 replies
thecakestylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestylist Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:18am
post #2 of 7

I like working with the gel colors because no matter how much of it you add it won't affect the consistency of your icing. I usually use a tooth pick and add blobs at a time to the icing until I get the color I want. Once you get comfortable you will be able to eyeball it. Primary colors in wilton's gel colors are sort of "fluorescent" so I add a big blob of it.

I am not sure what colors you want to achieve. Sometimes I like mixing colors to lighten or darken the color I want to achieve. If I need a darker green than the wilton gel color kit had, so I added some green and a little bit of blue at a time until I reached the color I wanted. If you want lighter, add yellow. Just follow the spectrum (rainbow).

Lighter <-------------------------------> Darker
Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet

If you want darler orange, add more red.

I hope this helps!!

Biya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Biya Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 7

I always start with less color,than you think you'll need, than build up to the color I'm looking for. It takes a little longer this way but always turns out right.

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 7

Not sure your idea of "colbalt" and mine are the same thing.....but I'm picturing the color of my car icon_smile.gif which is called cobalt, hehe. I've made that color before, it's like a bright but dark deep blue?? Anyway, I used the royal blue, a teensy bit of black and a little sky blue all mixed together. Try doing just a tiny bit first and if it's the color you like you can always make more. Good luck!

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:32am
post #5 of 7

i would mix it and let it sit covered with a damp towel for about 1 hour. with the darker colors, they tend to develop a little darker. i've made cobalt blue royal icing and it took a lot of royal blue coloring.

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 7

I'm still having trouble with this. It sounds like we all have the same idea for cobalt blue. I tried adding black w/ my royal blue but it made it look too smokey. So, I added more of the royal blue after it had a chance to sit over night. Still not dark enough. I went and got AmericColor royal blue and added it w/ royal blue(wilton) to some extra white RI I had and that got closer, not exact but I did get much closer, I'm going to let it sit a while and see if it darkens up. I feel a cold coming on so even typing this makes my body ache -and I need these drop flowers for a cake I'll start tomorrow -Oh Lord Help Me!

amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 7

Try adding some sky/light blue, that always seems to brighten my up and take away that "smokey" color

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%