How Do I Make Those Cool-Looking Fall Leaves?

Decorating By tchrmom Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 2:54am by kakeladi

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 10

I want to make some for a fall basket-type cake. I love that variegated look with the veins as details. I know how to make MMF, and I have some cutters, but it's the coloring and shaping for detail that I am not sure about.

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:11am
post #2 of 10

It takes waferpaper and an airbrush.
They are easy to make; just outline the shapes; airbrush the different colors, and cut w/sharp scissors. You can accent the color(s) w/luster dusts or other dusts......pearl, different colors etc. But mostly I use lusters.

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:29am
post #3 of 10

Sounds much easier with royal icing and a tooth pick if you don't, like me, own an airbrush. <<Cheryl

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 10

I took a class on a fall-themed gumpaste arrangement with Nicholas Lodge a few weekends ago, and we used the 4-pc set of "JEM Grape Vine Leaves" cutters and the CelCrafts plastic veiner for Grape and Maple leaves. We started with cream-colored gumpaste and when the leaves were dry, we brushed them with four different colors of petal dusts to acheive the lovely multi-colored look of fall leaves. They turned out just gorgeous.

tchrmom Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks.

doreen1092 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreen1092 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 10

DO YOU MEAN DUST THEM DRY OR CAN YOU PAINT WET USING VODKA OR CLEAR VANILLA

tchrmom Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 10

After reading this and lots of other posts, I made these today. I used a knife and a toothpick to make veins and then painted with food color diluted with water. THey are now drying on crumpled up foil. It's not as good as some on here, but I think they will look kind of neat.

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:01am
post #8 of 10

I dust dry. I don't care for the "painted" look unless doing fine detail work like eyes or the dots on a lily

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:05am
post #9 of 10

In class, we dry dusted them and then steamed them to set the color.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 2:54am
post #10 of 10

Almost all the time whenever 'dusting' of gp or other sugar items is mentions it means to use the dust dry.
If it was to be painted on it would say 'painted'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%