Help W/ Buttercream Dream In New High Humidity Location!!

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 5:13pm by grannys3angels

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 7

Please help! I just moved from Boston (low humidity) to southern Louisiana (high humidity)
Everyone loves Buttercream Dream icing, but I am having a very difficult time with it now.
It turns out very glossy and very soft & smushy, to the point it barely crusts and I can't decorate with it.
I tried leaving out all the water but I got the same, smushy results.
Another problem is that there is no old Crisco in the stores and I am using Wal-Mart brand shortning.
Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? I don't want to have to switch to a different icing recipe!
Thanks!

6 replies
grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 7

There is another thread, where Indydebi talks about her bc icing recipe. She saids it crust very well and can be use in 90 degrees with no trouble. I don't know if is her own recipe, but maybe you could check out. It may have something in it that can help you. Here is the link for it.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-561679-.html

Also I see that you are now living in Louisiana., Sharon (Sugarshack) lives in Louisiana. also, so you might want to check out her thread about her icing recipe & tips, it also might have some info or tips that may help you out. I live in the southern part of KY. so it can get very hot here, so I also use her recipe. Here is her thread on her icing & tips.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19948.html
She also has a wonderful dvd out called "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" here is a link and what people are saying about the dvd.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-561142.html

I know you said you really want to keep the buttercream dream recipe, I hope someone may be able to help you out better that knows more about the recipe. That way you can keep using the recipe you are happy with. I hope somehow some of this info may be helpful to you. Have you try using a hi-ratio shortening in place of the crisco? or maybe adding more ps to the recipe? just a thought maybe these might help. icon_sad.gif I wish I was better help to you.

God Bless & Good Luck,
Sharon

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 7

I use a Dream Whip icing which is all Crisco, no butter, and I've been told its great in high humidity and temperature weather. I only use Walmart (make sure it's not their 0-trans fat one) Crisco because using regular Crisco makes it soft. If interested, feel free to PM me.

grannys3angels Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:15pm
post #4 of 7

O.k. I read the thread about Indydebi recipe she uses powder dream whip with the trans fat free crisco....From what I understand using the powder dream whip helps to put the fat in that the new crisco is lacking.

Just wanted to up date you Korensmommy, on what I found out....you may still beable to use your recipe but just add the powder dream whip. Hope this helps, let us know how it all turns out for you.

God Bless,
Sharon

p.s. almost for got, here is another link with Indydebi's recipe http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-491583-0.html ....it's a great thread with some great info.

kbgieger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbgieger Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 7

I'm in LA (Lower Alabama). I know exactly what your dealing with!! I've never used the buttercream dream recipe, but switched from regular Crisco to hi-ratio shortening about 4 years ago (I order my from Kitchen Krafts). I recently made Sugarshack's recipe with the hi-ratio and amaretto creamer and was very pleased with the results. I think this is going to be my new bc recipe.

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:25am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everyone for the great ideas!
It was such a shock making my first cake down here and the icing came out so smooshy it was almost unusable!
I have a few birthday cakes to make soon for friends so I will try and play with my icing.
The dream whip is a great idea, i think I will try that next. Thanks for the links grannys3angels.
Also, it seemed to me the Wal-Mart shortning was much softer than the old Crisco was--I might have to find a store in the area that sells hi-ratio and see if I can use that in the Buttercream Dream recipe.
Thanks everyone!!

grannys3angels Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 7

Your welcome korensmommy, hope it helps you. If you can't get it the icing to work out for you, give Sugarshacks recipe a try. I have not had any trouble with it in the heat.

It is a non-dairy recipe and you can flavor how you like. Also, I almost for got about this, but in Sharon's (Sugarshack) thread "my buttercream tips and recipe" she saids that she trying to schedule a class in early 2008. I don't know how close you all are to where she is, but thought I would let you guys know about it. If you need more info she has her e-mail addy listed on page 36 of that thread.

Also if you love working with buttercream, I highly recommended her new dvd "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream". She has great tips, demonstrations on icing with bc, how to prevent blow outs and bulges, and my flavorite....get those sharp corners on square cakes thumbs_up.gif Just thought I would share this info with you. I would love to get to take a class with her.

By the way IMHO, changing to hi-ratio shortening was one of the best moves I ever made, thanks to Sugarshack for that one!

God Bless You & Yours,
Sharon

p.s. please, lot us know if you get everything worked out with your icing thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%