Chocolate Leaves

Decorating By -Megalicious- Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm by fiddlesticks

-Megalicious- Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Megalicious- Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 17

Hey! I'm a new member to cake central! I have recently been asked to make my first wedding cake. I am starting to freak out. She wants chocolate leaves on it. Has anyone had any experience with chocolate leaves? I need some advice on how to prepare them.

Also, do you think it's ok to make your cakes a week in advance and freeze them.

Honestly, I have no idea what I'm doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

16 replies
messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 17

You can do chocolate leaves in a number of ways. The simplest way is to buy a chocolate leaf mold.
Another way is to paint several layers of chocolate directly onto real (cleaned!) leaves leaving to dry in between coats. When the chocolate leaf is thick enough you just peel away the real one.
You can also use modelling chocolate, this way you just roll and cut out, either with a cutter or by hand.

thecakestylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestylist Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 17

Chocolatedrummer - I can't find chocolate modelling here or at cake central. Can you direct me to a site where I can buy them?

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 17

Have a look in my photos for the chocolate cake with chocolate leaves. I like using real leaves instead of a mold because each leaf is different. I do them in white, milk and dark chocolate. Just melt, and paint onto a pesticide free rose of citrus leaf. I use a small paint brush on coat the underside (the vein-y side) Let it set (I stick it in the fridge for speed) and usually do at least coats to avoid breakage. When all the coats are nice and firm, just gently peel the leaf off. Feel free to pm me if that isn't clear. I hope this is some help.

frindmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frindmi Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 17

I wouldn´t buy it but make it. It´s pretty easy to make. There is a recipe for chocolate plastic in the baking911 forum. It´s a mix of chocolate (usually semi sweet) and corn syrup. Once mixed, you pour the mix on a baking sheet (that´s what I use) and let it set overnight. The next day it will have hardened so you just have to break it up and start kneeding it. It tastes very yummy! But you have to be quick because heat affects it and it can start to melt (especially the one made with white chocolate).

messyeater Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 17

Yes I make my own modelling chocolate too..if you google 'chocolate plastic' you'll find the link to the recipe page on baking 911.

thecakestylist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakestylist Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:19am
post #7 of 17

Thank you.... I can't wait to try my own!!!!!

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 12:52am
post #8 of 17

I bought some silk maple leaves lasts year and just piped on the back sides of those (after I ran them through the dishwasher) and they turned out pretty nice!
LL

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:15am
post #9 of 17

I use real citrus leaves, same as Terri-Jo. They are so simple to make. LisaMS, I love that cake, did you peel away the silk leaves after they were dry?

LisaMS Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:18am
post #10 of 17

Hey June, yeah, I just peeled away the silk leaves after the candy melts dried. I painted with oil based candy colors afterwards to give some depth. Really easy! got the leaves at WalMart.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:42am
post #11 of 17

Thanks Lisa, they are really beautiful.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:57am
post #12 of 17

LisaMS... that cake is beautiful !!! I wish I could make that bow ?? I have tried 2x and OMG !!! awful ! any tips !!

veronica970206 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica970206 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:12am
post #13 of 17

WOW Lisa!!!! I love that cake, and the leaves are just sensational!!!! I hope mine turn out as well as yours, when you did yours, did you have to lay it on thick or do layers after they would set? If so about how many times? Thanks so much for sharing, again fantastic job!!! Sincerely, Veronica

messyeater Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:35am
post #14 of 17

Those leaves are great and what a fantastic idea using silk leaves!

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 9:46am
post #15 of 17

I used rose leaves for mine. I tried finding lemon leaves, but to no avail, so I went to a florist and asked if I could have all her rose leaves for the day. She said sure, she saved all the leaves she had used that day, and put them in a bag for me.

When I picked them up there were hundreds. Some of them were ripped and not in great shape, but most of them were perfect. I just washed them in warm soapy water, then let them air dry.

Then my niece helped me paint them with melted chocolate. We both grabbed a paint brush, put the chocolate on fairly thick on the underside of the leaf, not the shiny side. I put some of them flat, and some of them on flower formers, to dry. All were on parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet, so when all the space was taken up I just picked up the cookie sheet and put it in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes, took it out, then peeled the leaves from the chocolate.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=762993

You can use leaves from just about any plant that bears edible fruit. Apple, pear, peach, lemon, rose, etc. It really depends on how large you want your leaves to be.

I've used silk ones too, but mine didn't turn out as well as the ones above. Parts of them were plastic, and it was just too thick. I had a hard time finding the shape I needed that didn't have plastic on it.

Good luck, and I hope this has helped.

Holly

LisaMS Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 3:34pm
post #16 of 17

fiddlesticks, I pretty much use the method demonstrated here in the CC tutorials on how to make a multi-loop bow...except I put mine together layer at a time on the cake with the candy melts instead of putting the bow together in a container like what is shown.

I run my fondant (with tylose added) through a pasta machine in about the middle setting. Loops are hung on a 1" dowel for longer loops; smaller dowel (1/2" diameter?) for shorter loops. For best result, the bottom loops of the bow should be longer (mine go fro 6" strips to 5" strips to 4" strips for the last three loops added. Hope this makes sense. Mine don't always turn out great but I must admit even I was pleased with the way this one turned out. As you see, I have a combo of wider straight loops and thinner zigzagged edged loops.

About the leaves...I just use a pastry bag with the melted chocolate in it; outline the leaf then fill in. That gives me a layer thick enough. Stick in freezer for 5 or 10 minutes; take them out and pull silk off.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 4:05pm
post #17 of 17

LisaMS Thanks for the reply, It is very helpful ! And you should be very pleased with this bow, its beautiful, the whole cake is! I also love the colors you used !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%