What Would You Do?

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 4:11pm by Coraellen

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 9

Let's say you are donating two certificates for cakes to a mother's group fall festival raffle.

What restrictions would you put on the redeemable cake?

Servings?
Flavors?
Time restrictions?

Rachel

8 replies
FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 9

Just make each one for a dollar amount. Anything they order over that amount, they pay for. Make the minimum enough to cover one 8" double layer cake or 1/4 sheet cake.
"This gift certificate good for $XX towards a decorated cake."

DebbyTCL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyTCL Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 9

Also put on the certificate that it "has no cash value and not be redeemed for cash". That way no one says that they don't want a cake and would like the cash value of the certificate refunded to them.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 9

I agree I would put a dollor amount on the certificate and let it be redeemed only on the product not on cash.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:31pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with the dimensions mentioned by previous decorater, then to be safe in case they want A LOT of detailing, I would ADD an additional $15 min. to your base price of the 1/4 sheet/8"-2layer cake. So that way if they want fillings and such, you are covered. I wouldn't put any OTHER restrictions on cert., just make sure you cover more than your base pay.

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:31pm
post #6 of 9

i've donated a few gift certificates. however, i just put that it is good towards a cake for up to 20 servings and then the dollar amount. that way, there is some limit. i also add that it will expire after 1 year and put the date and sign it. one more thing, put on the gift card how much notice you need....i always put 3 weeks.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 12:33pm
post #7 of 9

AND the cash redeemable only restriction too, forgot! Good luck!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:43pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizw

i've donated a few gift certificates. however, i just put that it is good towards a cake for up to 20 servings and then the dollar amount. that way, there is some limit. i also add that it will expire after 1 year and put the date and sign it. one more thing, put on the gift card how much notice you need....i always put 3 weeks.

I agree about the expiration date. You would not BELIEVE how long people will hold on to those things! icon_lol.gif

Coraellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coraellen Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:11pm
post #9 of 9

Be careful with expiration dates. In some states it is illegal to put an expiration on gift certificates or gift cards. But the liklihood of someone to sue for a small gift card is nill if you do put a expiration on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%