Your Best Off-The-Wall 'not-For-Cake-But-Really-Useful' Tip!

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 25 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm by KathysCC

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 7:48pm
post #31 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Don't sweat it kiddo -- as my dear sweet hubby would say, "there are pills for that..." icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

ahhhh....yes. But what if you are TAKING the pills already? icon_razz.gif see, I stumped ya, LOL.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:16pm
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Don't sweat it kiddo -- as my dear sweet hubby would say, "there are pills for that..." icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

ahhhh....yes. But what if you are TAKING the pills already? icon_razz.gif see, I stumped ya, LOL.

ha ha ha!! Actually I AM taking the pills already -- and DH can only counter with "too bad they don't work..." icon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif (Little does he know, them's fightin' words!) icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 6:27am
post #33 of 46

Well these are a food item, 8 inch bamboo poles instead of dowel rods. Get this a pack of 100 for .99cents. You can also use chopsticks, also found cheaply. These are for support of stacked cakes. Now I have to get the pipe cutter to make cutting them easier icon_rolleyes.gif
LL

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:13pm
post #34 of 46

Where did you get the bamboo poles? They look great....

addietx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
addietx Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #35 of 46

Thanks for all the suggestions. There was another thread a while back with many similiar ideas and suggestions for tools not really "name brand cake decorating tools". Does anyone remember or have it under your "watched topics"?

dellswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellswife Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 9:28pm
post #36 of 46

OMG...Great thread!

Love the pringles can idea icon_biggrin.gif

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:11pm
post #37 of 46

I love this thread! I don't have any "tools" besides what is meant for cake decorating, but ya'll are giving me some good ideas-I might have to get a bigger toolbox, too!! icon_lol.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 11:13pm
post #38 of 46

Let's see what else -- I went to the Hardware store in the spackling section and bought a trowel that I use for a bench scraper and a trough that I use for scraping the excess frosting off into. I'm sure there's more... Oh yes, I bought electrical wiring conduit for use as smocking rolling pins! icon_lol.gif

Chuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chuff Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:47am
post #39 of 46

OK here's my wierd tool.....I was intrigued with the high density foam roller technique for smoothing cakes BUT living in the boondocks it's hard to come by a high density foam roller....SO... I bought a regular paint roller from Wal-Mart and replaced the "roller" with a swiming pool foam noodle, cut to size. Works like a charm!!

sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:33am
post #40 of 46

Ooh chuff, i like that one. That way you can get the whole top of the cake in one swipe instead of having to keep goingover and over it. I have a roller, but may try your idea instead.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:14am
post #41 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberhoney

wiggly pizza cutter. Again a ton of uses but especially good for zips!

Amberhoney...did you know that your "wiggly pizza cutter" is a ravioli cutter. I'm part Italian, we used to make homemade ravioli when I was a kid.

gr8yf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gr8yf Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:02am
post #42 of 46

I purchased 2 wilton fondant cutting wheels I have one that has all the straight cutters with 1/2 inch separators between so I can cut 5 3/4 inch strips at a time. The other has the wavey cutters. The straight cutter I use for apple pie crust tops.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:18am
post #43 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by addietx

Thanks for all the suggestions. There was another thread a while back with many similiar ideas and suggestions for tools not really "name brand cake decorating tools". Does anyone remember or have it under your "watched topics"?

I posted to this thread back in July.. http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8964&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=tools&&start=0

I don't know if it's the one you're talking about or not, there are probably a ton of threads like this. I'm always glad to see a new one start, though, because I find even more ideas for using things around the house. icon_smile.gif

I like the bamboo skewers. I have actually used those, when I ran out of dowels. They work like a charm, and walmart sells them so cheap. I'm just always afraid they'll break, because they're so thin, but I haven't had one break yet. (not that I've put them in very tall cakes, I'm a big chicken) icon_biggrin.gif

Now I have to get me one of those nifty cutters. I'm really not one to say I hate anything, but I will say I HATE cutting dowel rods!! They're always crooked. Don't ask me how. Even when I use wire cutters to do it, they seem to break and have a jagged edge when I try it. Straws don't want to work for me either. Let's face it, I'm just a little crooked. I can't draw a straight line, even with a ruler, and I can't cut a straight line. I'm SO glad someone mentioned that tool. I would have never dreamed of using it. Major duh moment for me. I've seen them, I know what they're for, but just never thought to get one for that.

Thanks again!!

Holly

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:32am
post #44 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:

Amberhoney...did you know that your "wiggly pizza cutter" is a ravioli cutter. I'm part Italian, we used to make homemade ravioli when I was a kid.

Wow...thanks for that! I have a ravioli cutter!?!? My kitchen gadget collection is even more impressive than I thought icon_wink.gif
Maybe I will actually have to use it to make ravioli one day!

Thanks!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 6:42am
post #45 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by addietx

I was wondering the same thing when this thread first started, and then the one I was thinking of popped up with a new post while I was watching it.

If it's not the one Holly just posted (while I was typing this!) then this is the one I'm referring to: "cheaper substitute for supplies"
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-220521.html

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 3:33pm
post #46 of 46
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

Quote:

Wow...thanks for that! I have a ravioli cutter!?!? My kitchen gadget collection is even more impressive than I thought icon_wink.gif
Maybe I will actually have to use it to make ravioli one day!

Thanks!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Amberhoney

You are so funny. I'm sure your ravioli cutter is happy being a fondant cutter too. When I first read your post I thought your wiggly pizza cutter was an old pizza cutter that wiggled when you used it and I was thinking, "How in the world does she use that?" Then I saw the picture and had to laugh.

I've been looking for one of those for quite some time. I live in the boonies and don't have much access to kitchen supply stores. I've been cutting my homemade ravioli with a pizza cutter icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%