Castle Cakes

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 21 Dec 2006 , 4:07am by mariecar6

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 13

I have a castle cake order for the 27th. I have never done one of these before, and the customer requested pillars. I plan on using paper towel tubes with waffle cones for the peaks. I was wondering if anyone who has made this cake before does anything special wtih the tubes before they frost them, or does the frosting stick o.k. by itself? I will just be using regular buttercream frosting for this cake .. any help or advice is appreciated greatly!!!

12 replies
luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 13

I've never made one before, but here is a bump for you. Good luck.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 13

I wrapped mine in foil first...otherwise the crisco will seep into the cardboard and make it flimsy and unstable. It worked great!

Best of luck! thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 13

thanks mocakes .. and your work is just stunning .. I might have to "borrow" a few ideas from your castle cake if you dont mind!

Meeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meeka Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 13

Hi,
When I made the torrents on the castle cake I used the inside of the foil wrap because they are strudier. Then I cover them in fondant add the waffle cone tops and icing with buttercream. It usually holds, I make at least 2 castles month.

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

thanks mocakes .. and your work is just stunning .. I might have to "borrow" a few ideas from your castle cake if you dont mind!

Thank you...and be my guest!! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Have fun!! icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 13

I make my towers out of Rice Krispie treats. I build them around a skewer or dowel, then hammer the dowel through the cake and through the board. I just uploaded a picture to my gallery.

MissiBasse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissiBasse Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 13

I made towers for my daughter's cake using regular cake cones and sugar cones. You turn one cake cone upside down place icing on the base and then set another cake cone right side up on top of the icing. The icing will glue them together. Then the top of the tower is a sugar cone turned upside down into the the top of the cake cone. Glue it together by piping icing around them. There is a pic of my daugher's cake in my gallery if you would like to see an example of what I'm talking about.

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 6:20pm
post #9 of 13

I used Rice Krispie Treats on mine too. I used a 1 1/2" pvc pipe, sprayed a little PAM in it & then just compacted the heck out of them. It worked GREAT & the kids were thrilled to be able to eat the turrets too.

Meeka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meeka Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 13

RICE KRIPPIES TREATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a great ideas!!!!!
Because of the Torents I HATE MAKING CASTLE CAKES!!!

jennycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennycakes Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 6:41pm
post #11 of 13

hi- I recently made my daughters birthday cake w/the paper towel tubes & they worked out great-I was going to use rice crispie treats, but since the tubes worked out, I didn't need to. I DID however make the top tier of cake a rice crispie "cake" since I didn't need as much cake as I was plannig to use...I just iced the tubes w/BC, droped a "cake"cone in the top of each tube & wrapped in fondant. Then I placed a sugar cone on top & piped some shells around the base to hold them in place. Worked out great, was sturdy & looked good.
...the sad part was seeing how FAST that cake got dis-assembled & eaten!!!
Good luck w/your cake!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 20 Dec 2006 , 8:55pm
post #12 of 13

I did a castle cake about 1-1/2 years ago. It was my first cake post here on CC and then resubmitted it for the Fantasy Cakes recently. I didn't do the cone or paper towel thing, but if you were interested in mine I would be willing to share as well. I did mine out of fondant only. They needed lots of time to dry, but I was really pleased with the end result.

Good luck!

Michelle

mariecar6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariecar6 Posted 21 Dec 2006 , 4:07am
post #13 of 13

What a coincidence - I'll be doing a castle cake too, for the first time. Mine is for January 6.
I was already planning on checking out pics, trying to get an idea. BTW, I saw the ones belonging to those of you answering this thread. Great cakes!
So, I might also have to consult...
Marie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%