Gelatin Based Filling Help, Please!

Decorating By ANicole Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm by ANicole

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 2

I am making the wedding cake today (my first) and I'm using this Martha Stewart recipe for the cherry filling. You're supposed to use gelatin sheets. Well, of course, the store didn't have any, so I bought packets. Well, according to my calculations, I needed 11 sheets, so I used 11 packets and attempted to dissolve them by first putting 11 cups cold water then putting the hot water. I think I screwed it up. I dumped it all out now. I am determined to make this recipe, but the wedding is tomorrow, so I need to figure it out fast since it must set for 3 hours to firm up before you can use it.

Here is what the recipe says (I cut and pasted):
Line 2 cake pans of each tier size with plastic wrap, allowing a 2-inch overhang. Put gelatin sheets into a bowl of cold water. Let soften 5 minutes. Squeeze out excess water from sheets; set sheets aside.
Bring half of the jam to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Add gelatin sheets, and stir until gelatin has dissolved. Stir in remaining jam. Pour into prepared pans. Refrigerate until firm, 3 hours or overnight.

Obviously, since I didn't use sheets, I couldn't squeeze out excess water. Also, my cherry gelatin seemed watered down so I think I used too much water. Anyway, the gelatin never got completely dissolved. I don't know what to do. Any suggestions besides searching the ends of the Earth for "gelatin sheets" of all things!!??

1 reply
ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 2

Darn it! But thank God for Google!

I guess 4 sheets equals 1 packet, so I used way too much gelatin. Now I have to go back out and get more "cherry jam" since I dumped it all out which is equally impossible to find as gelatin sheets!!!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%