Chocolate Ruffles

Decorating By abeverley Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm by ShirleyW

abeverley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abeverley Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 9

I have a bride who is wanting a chocolate ruffles as the one pictured on
http://www.labonnebouchee.com/pastries.htm as the topper..any ideas on how it is done. It is the one with the single cake and white chocolate ruffle on top. TIA

8 replies
cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 9

this is probably done with a choc. ruffler called a Girolle.

http://beryls.safeshopper.com/200/8135.htm?289

They are very cool!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 9

No, those aren't done with the La Girolle, they are done by hand. There is quite a difference in the thickness of the ruffle, La Girolle are quite thin and narrow. Here are a couple of photos of cakes I have done with the La Girolle and by hand. The large ruffles made by hand are done the way chocolatier John Costello makes his. He has a DVD called Chocolate Artistry that shows how to make them, but I can't find it listed at Squires any longer. You might email them and ask if they can find a copy for you.

messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 7:52am
post #4 of 9

I'm wondering if they are done in chocolate plastic? I think it would be almost impossible to get a wide, even and long ruffle like that by hand with regular chocolate.

ShirleyW Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 9

To get a ruffle that long and wide in chocolate can be done but you have to work fast and have all your equipment right at hand. You freeze several cel boards or small marble slabs overnight, next day temper your chocolate. Use one cel board at a time, spread melted tempered chocolate the length of your cel board and the width of your chocolate or bench scraper, smooth in one direction only once or twice because it begins to set up instantly. Slide your chocolate scraper under the bottom edge of the set chocolate, loosen all the way up, remove strip and fold into accordian pleats from the narrow side. Bring both ends up to the top so they are laying side by side and touching, pinch the chocolate at the bottom, this will make the top edges flare out into a fan shape. Either place directly onto the iced cake, or make the ruffles one at a time, place on a parchment paper lined sheetcake pan and refrigerate till you have enough made to cover the cake top. I think I got about 3 ruffles done before the cel board warmed too much. Clean it off and put back in freezer, take another frozen board out and repeat until you have all the ruffles made, or all the chocolate is used up.

You certainly could make them of chocolate clay or chocolate fondant as well. I would roll the paste as thin as possible though or they would be pretty chewy to cut through and eat. You could use a similar method as with the chocolate ruffles on the frozen board, minus the frozen board of course. Just roll the paste thin, cut into rectangles about 8" long by 4" wide. accordian pleat from the side, bring the ends up to meet at the top, pinch the bottom and fan out the top edges. Here is a wedding cake I have done that way.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=302653

abeverley Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 9

I think this bride has gone nuts. She wants choc. cake with choc mousse with choc. buttercreme and choc wrap on each layer with white choc scroll work and a choc ruffle as the topper. Needs to feed 150 buts wants a mixed shaped cake 1 square and 2 round.

Shirley, how do you make the choc. wraps? I was thinking of spreading the chocolate the hight and width of the cake on plastic and right before it hardens to pick up and wrap. Can you do square cakes? What would you charge for a cake like this? I was thinking around $5.00 a serving, I am in Missouri so a little difficult to get the higher prices. I normally charge $2.35.

ShirleyW Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 9

Well, for a 10" round chocolate wrap with ruffles I charged $90.00 and even then I don't think that is enough. If you consider the price and amount of chocolate you will use, the amount of time and hand work it takes you need to charge enough to make it worth your while. Here is a link to the chocolate wrap thread that should help answer your questions. Yes, you can wrap a square cake, just make sure the seam is in the back and not at a corner.
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-56654.html

And if you want to see some spectacular chocolate ruffle cakes, here is a link to my very favorite British cake site, Dragons and Daffodils. Click to enlarge the thumbnails so you can see how the ruffles are shaped and arranged.
http://www.dragonsanddaffodils.com/dragonsanddaffodils_chocolatecakes.html

abeverley Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you so much for your assistance.

ShirleyW Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #9 of 9

Your welcome. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%