I Dropped My Cake!

Decorating By allydav Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 9:23pm by lv2bake

allydav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allydav Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 6

It landed on the counter so it's still sanitary but a big chunk of it broke off. It's not the end of the world the cake is for a small get together with friends tonight. They won't care if it looks ugly but I do. Is there any chance of saving it. Will royal icing work to glue it together or are there any magic tricks to saving it? Or should I give up and just slap some icing on the top and call it done.

5 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 6

I hate when that happens. icon_mad.gif

I've used icing lots of times to glue cake back together. It works fine. Maybe throw it in the fridge for a bit before icing it so the entire cake with newly attached half will firm back up so you can frost it better.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 6

Try to glue the part that broke off back on with the same kind of icing you're covering it with, then refrigerate it. You can re-frost it when it hardens up. Good luck, and don't feel too bad, if you have to drop a cake at least this wasn't one that someone was paying you to do!

auntiemcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiemcakes Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 6

I am sorry allydav, that stinks when that happens. I don't have much advice that hasn't been given already but I do have a word of encouragment....on last night's episode of Ace of Cakes they dropped and/or ruined several of their cakes and they get paid LOTS more than any of us probably do for a cake! It happens to the best decorators!! Hang in there and keep in mind that the cake will still taste just as good and your friends know what you can do already!

felecia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
felecia Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 6

YEAP!!!..use the same icing you covered the cake with sit it in the frig and you can save it that way. I had a grooms cake do that to me one time and thats how i saved it. Heck I have had cakes not cook all the way a little. I use cake that i have trimed off the top to fix the hole that I dig.

lv2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lv2bake Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 6

If it is for friends and family I would make call balls with it icon_biggrin.gif

Darlene

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%