How To Figure Out Icing Amounts

Baking By nello Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 4:25pm by sweetreasures

nello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nello Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 7

Anyone know how to figure out how much icing to make for a certain amount of cookies? I have made 250 6 in. lung cookies and don't know where to start with the icing. I am going to buy the ingredients, but don't know how much to buy. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 7

can't help you with icing amounts because honestly, I've just never measured icing in my life. I make a batch (or 2, or 3). Whatever is left over, I store or throw away. If I need more, I make more.

nello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nello Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 7

Well thank you anyway for your input.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 7

You're going to need a lot of icing for that many cookies! Make one batch of your icing and see how far it takes you. Then you'll be able to calculate how much more you'll need. I wish I could be more help with your quantities, but that's the best advice I can give. Good luck!

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 7

Probably depends on which icing you are going to use.

I made my first cookie order, and had 36 cookies to frost. I use Karen's Meringue Buttercream and I thought that one and a half batches would suffice. BOY I was wrong. After I frosted my first dozen cookies, 2/3 of the frosting was gone. I had to make another batch to finish the order...

To sum it up, I believe this recipe covers about a dozen cookies. LOL You are going to need ALOT of frosting either way.

HTH

CindyM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyM Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 7

Antonia's royal icing goes a lot further than the buttercream. I think I've done an order for 60 cookies using one batch. My problem is estimating how much to use for each color.

sweetreasures Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetreasures Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 7

Nello, Allrecipes.com has a recipe for buttercream and royal icing and gives the serving size which also allows you to calculate different serving sizes. For example the buttercream says 20 servings and I changed it to 250. I don't know the accuracy of the servings - per the change in the recipe amounts you will need 50# of powdered sugar. I think that would be more icing than you need but it could be a starting point to figure maybe 125 cookies.

Last year I made 3 batches of cut out sugar cookies large and medium size. I made a double batch of buttercream and had icing left over. Don't recall how many cookies that was but I'd guess about 50 or less

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%