I Need Your Best Tips- Asap. :)

Decorating By MrsSuzieHomemaker Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 2:42am by woodthi32

MrsSuzieHomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsSuzieHomemaker Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 10:39pm
post #1 of 7

I am making my first wedding cake in the morning. I would apprecaite any tips that you can offer.

6 replies
mommapaul3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommapaul3 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 7

I don't know what to tell you. Perhaps if you asked a more specific question on what you need tips on you could get more help. What kind of cake are you making? There are a lot of good tips all over this site.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 7

You waited a bit too late. the best advice is to plan ahead, practice any new techniques and prepare to improvise.

Do you expect something to be a particular problem?

Are you trying something new?

Is the delivery planned?

We don't really know enough about your project to give you any pointers.

MrsSuzieHomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsSuzieHomemaker Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:13am
post #4 of 7

It is going to be a three tier cake. Iced with buttercream and very simple decor. The part I am most worried about is support and stacking the layers. That and the fact that my kids broke my cake leveler today and there is no way to get a new one.

I am doing the cake for free as a favor so it does not have to be the best ever but I would like it to come out nice.

I will be taking it about 1 mile away to the church.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:34am
post #5 of 7

Here is a thread that will help you with cake construction.
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/...../index.cfm
If you need any more help/advice pm me, I'm going to be working on a wedding cake tomorrow also.

Jibbies

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:35am
post #6 of 7

Ok, here is what I would do concerning the leveling. Assuming your pans are 2" tall, I would put extra batter in each pan so it is sure to rise above the rim. Then you could just use a long knife and cut across the top of the pan and will guarantee you a level cake. Your layers will be tall, but it's better than nothing!
My favorite easily attainable support system is the hidden pillars and plates. You can find them at almost any craft store that sells cake supplies. Option two is to go to walmart, get the long wooden dowel rods. Clean them well (you never where they've been!) or wrap them in plastic wrap. After you frost your tiers, stick the dowel in the cake, mark it, pull it out and cut it. Use at least 4 (cut) dowels in each tier for proper support. The next tier should be supported just fine.

HTH

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:42am
post #7 of 7

You don't need a leveler. You'll be fine. use a long serrated knife to cut the top off in the pan as described above.
Go to the link on cake construction. And you didn't "wait too late". just use enough dowels, and do, if you can, the decor after you stack (your hands can hit a lot of things while stacking if you have never done iticon_smile.gif. a little tip, make sure you crumbcoat, esp if you are leveling that top off. Work with cold or frozen cakes. Before stacking, if you put your cake in a cold fridge or freezer, you are less likely to put major nicks in the icing. Bake tonight if you can!! Put them in the fridge/freezer!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%