How Do I Make A Tower Cake With Fondant?

Decorating By zalma Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 2:36pm by messyeater

zalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zalma Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:12pm
post #1 of 7

I've been trying to figure out how to make a cone tower cake that can be covered with fondant. Do I need to have dowels/supports? How do I get the measurement for the fondant to be covered to the tower cake? And what kind of cake is suitable for this? Appreciate if anyone could help me. Pleaseeeeee.

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 7

Can you be a little more specific? Are you making a single tower, like a stack of 6" rounds?

You can measure with paper, a ruler or a strip of plastic to judge how much fondant you need to wrap a tower of cake.

A cone can be supported by gum paste, or even cardboard.

Just guessing so I hope I helped.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:11am
post #3 of 7

Not sure what you mean either. Possibly a traffic cone?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:34am
post #4 of 7

Do you mean a castle cake with ice cream cone towers? Here is a tutorial:

www.cakeboss.com/castletutorial.aspx

zalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zalma Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:21pm
post #5 of 7

Hi all,

Thank you for responding to my query. Sorry for the lack of specification to my findings. I am trying to make a cone shape tower cake. I seen alot of these cakes which was made from Laduree; the most famous pastry & cake shop in Paris. This cone cake is placed on a 6-8" cake.

I'm trying to figure out how do I stack up these cake. Do I need few sizes of circle cutters? What are the sizes to range up to the "cone's" tips? How many dowels do I need?

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 7

Do you mean the cone that they stick the macaroons to? I don't think that's made of cake. I believe styrofoam would be your best bet. You could wrap it in fondant.

messyeater Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messyeater Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 7

Just checked their website and I think that cone must be made of cake...I mean could they really put a stryofoam tower onto a cake like that??? and if it isn't cake it wouldn't serve many people.

I would stack and dowel the graduated cakes each on their own board and then fondant over the whole thing. I guess you'd have to be very precise with the sizing of the cakes and you'd need to give instructions to the servers on the structure of the cake.

For the fondant I'd take make a template by wrapping parchment paper around the assembled tower. I guess you could cover up any join marks with the macaroons.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%