Making A Chair/sofa Like Aine2

Decorating By jennifer7777 Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 4:40am by Bettycrockermommy

jennifer7777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer7777 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 9

Hey guys. I want to make a cake topper (the aine2 way) that the recipient will be able to keep as a keepsake. Part of the topper is going to be a chair, kind of sofa-like. I want to use rice crispie treats, since it will be easy to mold the chair out of those, but my concern is spoilage. Do you think they will stay preserved being covered in fondant, or should I just use all fondant or gumpaste to make the chair? I also want it to be as light as possible, so as not to add too much weight to the cake.

Please help ASAP, as I need to complete this by Sunday. Thanks for any and all help.

Jennifer

8 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 9

I'd like to know too. I made a Redskins cake for my cousin last October - with the recliner, tv and table out of RK treats. It's not green yet, but I have no clue how to preserve it. Since then I've made a few other things and people always ask!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 9

If they want it as a keepsake, I would use gumpaste. I don't think RKT would keep forever.

chyana66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyana66 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 9

Hi there...if the topper isn't going to be eaten couldn't you just carve it out of floral foam or something like that and then cover and decorate it however you wanted? I haven't done this but I would think it should work...
Just an idea. icon_smile.gif

jennifer7777 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

...if the topper isn't going to be eaten couldn't you just carve it out of floral foam or something like that and then cover and decorate it however you wanted? I haven't done this but I would think it should work...

Quote:
Quote:

If they want it as a keepsake, I would use gumpaste. I don't think RKT would keep forever.

Both of these are great ideas. I'll probably carve the chair out of floral foam and cover with fondant/gumpaste. Thank you so much.

Jennifer icon_wink.gif

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:35am
post #6 of 9

When I made the chair for my mom's cake, I used floral foam. It worked really well, and I didn't have to worry about spoilage.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:48am
post #7 of 9

RKT spoil eventually. It's what I used for the TV stand on my Homer cake. It was for my SIL and he tried to save it. Lasted a month and then my daughter had to throw it out. I'd go with foam and gumpaste too if you're planning on saving it.

jennifer7777 Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 1:22am
post #8 of 9

Bettycrockermommy and khoudek...thanks for the replies. Looked at your cakes and you both are awesome! I am going to use the floral foam.

Jennifer

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 4:40am
post #9 of 9

I look forward to seeing your beautiful cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%