Stiff Whipped Icing

Decorating By bqmcdowell Updated 27 Oct 2007 , 2:37pm by mama5kiddos

bqmcdowell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bqmcdowell Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 14

I am trying to find a recipe for a whipped icing that is stiff enough to decorate a birthday cake with. I have diabetics in my family and I need an icing that is not real rich. It does not even have to be whipped icing, just something that tastes similar. Thanks for any help!

13 replies
ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:42am
post #2 of 14

I tried using stabilized whipped cream before (used piping gel to stabilize it) and I didn't think it worked well as far as decorating. It was so soft and kept getting really melty. I think in the future I'll try Rich's Bettercream.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:05am
post #3 of 14

I use Knox gelatine to stabilize my whipped cream
2 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon gelatin
In a small saucepan sprinkle the gelatin over the water and allow to "bloom" about 5 minutes, then heat until melted, remove from heat and cool in refridgerator for a few minutes
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon extract (your choice vanilla, almond, raspberry, or any of the flavored liquid coffee creamers)
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Beat cream until peaks form the slowly add the flavor and PS continue beating until stiff.
the wisk on a KA works best for this
Refridgerate, and any cake iced in this will need to be refridgerated also.
Hope this helps

Jibbies

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:07am
post #4 of 14

Rich's Bettercream or Frostin Pride are stiff enough to decorate with. I use them all the time. not stiff enough for roses (though i've read of some having success with even that) but just fine for icing and borders, and basic decoration. several (in fact most) of the cakes in my photos are done with either one. If i need the stiffer decorations, i'll sometimes use buttercream too... They taste good together (according to dh) Hope that helps!

bqmcdowell Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 14

Thanks for all the help, but I am new to the cake decorating world and was wondering what is Rich's Bettercream or Frostin Pride? Thanks!

lilypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilypie Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 14

they are stabilized whipped icing. They come (at least where i get them) in a carton, quarts or gallons in the freezer section (near the ice cream) at my local restaurant supply store.

you just have to thaw and whip, and it tastes less sweet, a lot like whipped cream.

I have heard you can get Bettercream prewhipped, but i haven't ever seen it. (personally)

edited to add: i can find Frostin pride (in a quart) for about $3.00 and Bettercream (gallon) for about $15.
when whipped, they approx. triple in size, so i can do several cakes with just one quart, though DH says that Bettercream tastes a little better. (they're both good though)

bqmcdowell Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:03am
post #7 of 14

Okay thanks so much. I will try to find it.

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 14

Have you tried the "Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting"? I made it the first time the other day and it was REALLY light and fluffy and not too sweet at all...tastes like a whipped cream frosting! I would suggest this one. Plus you dont have the refrigerator issues that a real whip cream has.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2019-24-Whipped-Cream-Buttercream-Frosting.html

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 12:54pm
post #9 of 14

I have used basically the same recipe that jibbies is describing and it worked great. But it does have to be refrigerated. I really want to try the one from the Wilton site but haven't gotten around to it yet.

bqmcdowell Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:31pm
post #10 of 14

Does anyone know of one that does not need to be put in the fridge? Thanks

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 2:58pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama5kiddos

Have you tried the "Whipped Cream Buttercream Frosting"? I made it the first time the other day and it was REALLY light and fluffy and not too sweet at all...tastes like a whipped cream frosting! I would suggest this one. Plus you dont have the refrigerator issues that a real whip cream has.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2019-24-Whipped-Cream-Buttercream-Frosting.html

Does this icing smooth good and could you use it for a Wedding Cake??

bqmcdowell Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 1:43am
post #12 of 14

Thanks, I am going to try the whipped cream buttercream frosting tomorrow and see how I like it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 2:39am
post #13 of 14

Everything you ever wanted to know about Rich's Bettercreme & Pastry Pride:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-1814171-.html

Decorating with Pastry Pride:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-181061-.html

HTH

mama5kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama5kiddos Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 14

YES! It smoothes good and I made the "crusting" version, with 3T of meringue (instead of 2). I havent colored it though. I LOVE that recipe and will use it all the time now on.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%