Gumpaste

Decorating By chebean Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 9:24pm by chebean

chebean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chebean Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 7:36am
post #1 of 6

i purchased a bag of wilton gumpaste and boy is it hard! is it suppose to be that way? i want to make the 50/50 fondant to gumpaste to mold things but i am afraid to cut open the gumpaste bag to use it.

also does anyone know of a good cold porcelain website?

thanks!

5 replies
chebean Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 2:39pm
post #2 of 6

anyone? please help....

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 6

well, it's supposed to be firm, yet pliable. But not hard as a rock or crumbly. It needs to be kneaded before use and the heat from your hands will help soften it up.

Not sure of a cold porcelain website...

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:43pm
post #4 of 6

I have also found it to be quite hard, at least when you feel it thru the bag. Don't worry, once you knead it it will work out fine. If you are trying to knead the whole thing at once, you might want to nuke it in the microwave for just a few seconds on high, to give your hands a head start.

If you open it and determine that it is actually "dried out" well then you got a bad bag and should return it.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 6

I use the Wilton pre-made gumpaste. It always feels hard through the bag but once you open it it is fine. I grease my hands with a small amount of crisco before kneading. Just knead the amout you think you will need. You can always add more. Here is a cake that I did a couple of weeks ago that has a Wilton gumpaste bow on it.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1095933.html
To get the shimmer effect, I brushed it with pearl white luster dust mixed with everclear on both sides before I assembled it. I put it together and let it dryon the cake. I crumbled up saran wrap and put under the tails so they would have dimension. It dried overnight.

Jibbies

chebean Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 9:24pm
post #6 of 6

thanks, everyone, for replying. this will help!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%