Its Just A Box Cake And Some Icing...right?!

Decorating By pechee Updated 20 Oct 2007 , 8:10am by OzCookie

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:06am
post #31 of 49

heavencole,
At the bottom of the post there are "buttons" pm,photos.... things like that. You can click on one of them.

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:08am
post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

did you ask them to show you one that they could make better? Some people...that's just plain rude.

AGREED!!!!!!
btw, how did you do the pleating on the bottom tier of that cake on your avatar? Heck, wanna tell me how you did the whole thing?!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:55am
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSombra

did you ask them to show you one that they could make better? Some people...that's just plain rude.

AGREED!!!!!!
btw, how did you do the pleating on the bottom tier of that cake on your avatar? Heck, wanna tell me how you did the whole thing?!

icon_redface.gif

well, the pleats are fondant, of course. I took rectangles of fondant and folded and then placed each one on the tier individually, lining it up with the bottom so they'd be even and then just laying over the top. For the 2nd tier (from bottom), I followed the directions from a tutorial here on CC icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/article63-How-To-Make-Fondant-Swags.html
The tassles are just piped on. The next tier (2nd from top) is from a Wilton book...I first divided and marked it into I think it was 8 sections. Then I measured down from the top and inch and a half at each point and then about an inch at the halfway points (it might have been only 1 in and 1/2 in...It's been a while). Then I piped the vertical lines and then the arches were after that to cover up the rough edges. The big tassles are just like vertical upside-down shells with a big tip. This was 105, which is hard to find but you could use a star tip. Then I did the fleur de lis, which are two opposing reverse shells and a shell in the middle. The top tier is all just piping. I then painted alot of the blue with gold luster dust. The tiara was done using a tiara template from here. You put the template on a big can and pipe over on parchment with royal and let dry.

If you have any more questions, just PM me. I'd be glad to answer icon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:19am
post #34 of 49

Those ladies are a perfect example of the old adage: Ignorance Is Bliss. icon_mad.gif

Unfortunately, it's not an uncommon condition:
(It's just bread and frosting.....)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-42299-.html

However, your CC friends realize all the hard work and love you put into your cakes. icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Your haunted castle is cool; especially the "Dead n Breakfast" sign! icon_cool.gificon_lol.gif

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:10am
post #35 of 49

Walmart cake for her!!
I have to say, where do you get your cake mix? I use lots of it, and I've NEVER found a dragon in mine! icon_wink.gif
To add to the retort list:
"Oh, you're a decorator, too?!? I'd love to see your portfolio sometime!!" "Oh, you don't actually HAVE one...."

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:47am
post #36 of 49

icon_cry.gif

I can't find your cake!!! It seems to be missing from your album. I want to see what everyone has been talking about too!!!

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 9:35am
post #37 of 49

In the "whole picture" of this story, has anyone not picked up on the fact that this was for a Cub Scout function? With any amount of luck, this ignorant woman is not in charge of teaching the Cub Scouts anything. I would make sure that she is in charge of the refreshments for the next big bash and see what kind of "box and icing" she comes up with.

The "brownies" would be too good for her. There is absolutely no excuse for her behavior. I think we could "take her" easily. We can either tar and feather her or hold her down while Indydebi gives her a lecture. How 'bout it Deb?

Diane icon_evil.gif

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:08pm
post #38 of 49

It is not just cake with some icing. I know alot of work went into your castle and you did it for free. The base and fondant work are great and I love the dragon. You said the towers weren't the greatest. If the towers and top stonework matched the rest of the cake, it would be an expensive cake. Unfortunately because those didn't look great, she missed how you did on the rest. And that is probably the only reason she laughed at the 300 dollar price tag. I'm sure there wasn't anyleft because it tasted great. If it was your deer cake, she wouldn't have said its just cake. She would have been asking how you did it and ordering one for her husband.

Irishprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irishprincess Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:26pm
post #39 of 49

OK, that just pisses me off!!! Who does that snark think she is? I swear some people were raised by wolves...
Next time, just tell her that if it were so easy maybe SHE would like to do the next party cake and see?
I'd have dumped a piece of cake on her, or hidden one in her purse and squished it up really well... tee hee, that'd teach her!

Hang in there. Don't give one bee-yotch the power to ruin your doy or question your talents! Apparently her only talent is being rude and I bet nobody would pay her $300 for that!

Irishprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irishprincess Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:38pm
post #40 of 49

Maybe she was having a bad day because somebody dropped a house on her sister!!!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:39pm
post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishprincess

Maybe she was having a bad day because somebody dropped a house on her sister!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 12:48pm
post #42 of 49
Quote:

ROFL!!!!

Ldydesignr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ldydesignr Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:12pm
post #43 of 49

The towers match the rest of the cake for a haunted look. The moat monster and the Dead and Breakfast sign were too cool. I bet the cub scouts loved it. Afraid that I would have had to laugh at her comment because obviously she has no sense!! So I vote to let her do the next cake...hope she has a good box cake and icing recipe!

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:23pm
post #44 of 49
Quote:

Too true! The cake is cute and I love the "Dead and Breakfast" as well. Some people were raised with no manners and the scary thing is she has kids but it's an adorable cake and I think it's too cute!

dolfin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolfin Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:46pm
post #45 of 49

Everyone starts out with a box mix, or ingredients (if scratch) and icing but not everyone ends up with a DECORATED cake, that takes skill.

Why does one negative comment wipe out all the good comments. If you were pleased with it and the cubs really liked it, no one elses opinion counts.

Good job on the cake, Dead & Breakfast, love it!!

pechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pechee Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:08pm
post #46 of 49

This lady is the den leader for our wolves, and I have seen her cakes, that is why I volunteered a cake when we were having a meeting! She is usually so nice, but that just bugged me. But yes, I do believe I will ask for her portfolio next time!!!!!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:22pm
post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by pechee

This lady is the den leader for our wolves, and I have seen her cakes, that is why I volunteered a cake when we were having a meeting! She is usually so nice, but that just bugged me. But yes, I do believe I will ask for her portfolio next time!!!!!

And ask her to check her broom at the door, as well. icon_wink.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:25pm
post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostinGal

Quote:

And ask her to check her broom at the door, as well. icon_wink.gif

AMEN to that!

Diane icon_lol.gif

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 8:10am
post #49 of 49
Quote:

WELL!!! She makes cakes, too? That explains it!! Just a teeny-tiny touch of the green-eyed monster icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%