Have You Seen Sugarshack's Dvd?

Decorating By Price Updated 31 Oct 2007 , 2:19am by MommaLlama

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:37pm
post #1 of 59

I just received Sharon's DVD in the mail today. "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream". I stopped what I was doing and watched the entire DVD. It's great! It covers how she makes her icing, filling and icing the cake and those great, straight square corners that she makes! Now I just have to find time to make a square cake and practice, practice, practice! Thanks Sharon, great job, it's perfect for a visual learner like me!

Jean

58 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 59

Just got mine today. Will watch it tonight.

hgct02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hgct02 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 59

Where can I find the info. to order it?

Price Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 59

Here's the link.

www.sugaredproductions.com

Price Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:23am
post #5 of 59

aztomcat, I'm sure you'll like it. Let us know what you think!

MommaLlama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommaLlama Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:38am
post #6 of 59

I love it too, best thing that ever happened to my cakes!!!!

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 6:40am
post #7 of 59

Just finished watching my dvd. I Really liked it. Her method is not so difft from what I do. Love the template marking and the square edge technique.

I'm thinking I'll incorporate some of Sugar's techniques with my own.

Plus, I'm from originally from LaPlace LA, so I'm totally at home with her accent and words like Lagniappe.

icon_surprised.gif) D

MommaLlama Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 59

I have never been to LA, so that word is new to me, and being from CA I think her accent is so cute!

Price Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 59

I watched it again last night for about the 5th time. I can only hope to get those perfect square corners some day!

MommaLlama Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 59

I really hope to have perfect corners someday too!!

Price, your cakes are great! I can tell you are a Sugarshack fan like me.

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 59

I just got mine yesterday, I love it! I really love the way she shows how to do your icing to pipe the dam with. I can see how that would prevent bulges and blow outs. Great tip thumbs_up.gif

I really enjoy her showing how to get the sharp corners on a square cake and the sharp edges on the round cakes. The step by step demonstrations is also one the best things I like about her dvd.

I can't wait to try some of these tips out on my mine own cakes. I may even make a square cake just to try the sharp corner technique icon_biggrin.gif

All-n-all I love the dvd, it has some of the best info & techniques I have seen. Doing cakes with bc is all I do (no one here wants or likes fondant, just for decorations only) so I was very glad to see a dvd about bc icing.

God Bless,
Sharon

Price Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 3:53pm
post #12 of 59

Wow MommaLlamma, I just looked at your cakes! They are great. I don't think you have much perfecting left to do. thumbs_up.gif I love your Bridezilla Wedding Cake.

Yes, I have been a SugarShack groupie since day one! Her work never ceases to amaze me.

MommaLlama Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 59

Price, thanks so much for the compliment on my cakes!! I always say that I want to grow up to be just like Sugarshack. As you can probably/hopefully see, any time I need inspiration I go directly to Sugarshack cake photos and decide which to try my hand at.

moptop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moptop Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 3:57am
post #14 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztomcat

Just finished watching my dvd. I Really liked it. Her method is not so difft from what I do. Love the template marking and the square edge technique.

I'm thinking I'll incorporate some of Sugar's techniques with my own.

Plus, I'm from originally from LaPlace LA, so I'm totally at home with her accent and words like Lagniappe.

icon_surprised.gif) D

HAHA - I just got a kick out of your avatar, aztomcat.... Hilarious icon_smile.gif

cajundecoration Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cajundecoration Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:40pm
post #15 of 59

I just got my DVD today. I watched it and decided that this is now my favorite movieicon_smile.gif Awesome pointers, tips, and demonstration. I'm such a visual person. I read her description in one of the forums about how she gets the edges, but didn't quite get it. Now, it is so clear!

Definitely worth the money.

Price Posted 20 Oct 2007 , 9:56pm
post #16 of 59
Quote:
Quote:

I'm such a visual person. I read her description in one of the forums about how she gets the edges, but didn't quite get it. Now, it is so clear!

I totally agree. It makes it so much easier for me when I can watch someone else do it.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 8:49pm
post #17 of 59

So glad you all like it! thumbs_up.gif

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 1:05pm
post #18 of 59

okay- I know many of you have seen this cake since it is over 150 of your favorites, but this is the reason I am ordering SugarShacks DVD right now! The precision is unbelievable!!
LL

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 4:21pm
post #19 of 59

I'm just going to second... and third and fourth... all the praise everyone is giving Sharon's DVD. I think it's like American Express...don't do cakes without it! icon_wink.gif

I, too, am a totally visual learner. I have been trying to get her recipe down for a couple of months now with no success. But the day I watched the DVD I ended up with 2 perfect batches with no air at all. Sharon was my lifesaver on my first wedding cake last weekend!

Anya

Price Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:26pm
post #20 of 59

I am going to make my neices Wedding Cake in June 2008! icon_surprised.gif I always said I'd never do one, but guess I should never say never! lol. What does she want? ---A HEXAGON STACKED CAKE!!!! icon_eek.gif Sugarshack's DVD came out just in time. I will have to practice every chance I get! I've got plenty of time to work on perfecting those corners between now and June, but have warned my neice, if I don't get it right, we are reverting back to a round cake! icon_smile.gif
Wish me luck, I'm going to need it.

sugarshack Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 6:39pm
post #21 of 59

You will ace it!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 24 Oct 2007 , 7:11pm
post #22 of 59

Just got mine the other day and have been watching it (I haven't been able to sit and watch it all they way through with out stopping yet). I am so excited about this dvd! Thanks Sharon!

sugarshack Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 5:00am
post #23 of 59

keep me posted! thumbs_up.gif and thank you!

Price Posted 25 Oct 2007 , 7:16pm
post #24 of 59

I'm going to try making a batch of Sugarshack's bc recipe this weekend. We are having a Halloween Luncheon at work on Wed. so I get an opportunity to practice! thumbs_up.gif

Price Posted 26 Oct 2007 , 10:57pm
post #25 of 59

Well, I made a batch of Sharon's BC icing today. By the time I got done, I looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy! icon_lol.gif I have a 4qt KA, so I used 4lb of sugar instead of 5. Somehow I think I got some air whipped into it. Mine doesn't look as smooth as hers. I might have gotten it a little softer than it should be too, maybe that's the problem. I'm anxious to see how it looks when I get it on a cake.

sugarshack Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 6:40pm
post #26 of 59

Price, it may take a little practice to get the mixing and the consistency just right. Don't give up!

Try to get the icing pretty stiff if you can, to help with the sharp top edges.

thumbs_up.gif

Price Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:28pm
post #27 of 59

I hope this isn't repeating. If so, sorry! I tried to post a reply before and I think it went into lala land somewhere because I don't see it. I'll try this one more time!

I just finished practicing on a small 4" round. I am happy to report that I ended up with the straightest, smoothest sides I have done to date!!! I didn't get the top quite as smooth as I would have liked, but I think that too will come with practice.

My biggest issue was that I had a problem with the icing wanting to pull back off with the spatula while I was icing the sides, causing me to get crumbs. I'm thinking probably do to the softness of my icing? (I'm used to crumb coating first and I didn't do that today.)

I'm very happy with my results. Next time I'll try 1 less Tbsp of creamer. Thanks again Sugarshack! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

grannys3angels Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 7:48pm
post #28 of 59

Ohh Price, what Sharon saids is so true...I am so very happy I did not give up on this icing, I had to make it many of times till I got the consistency right for me. I have faith in you lady, you come do it thumbs_up.gif

Yes, it will come to you with practice, then it will as easy and saying 1, 2, 3. icon_biggrin.gif I was going to say maybe try a little less creamer as you said. I just remember you are doing yours in the 4qt. bowl, how much creamer did you use ? I use anywhere from 14 to 16 tablespoons for a 5qt. bowl, sometime depends on how cold, warm or hot it is here.

It is good to hear that you are happy with the results, and I swear it will even get better.
God Bless,
Sharon

Price Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 8:00pm
post #29 of 59

grannys3angels, I used about 10 TBSP. I think with my next batch I will try about 9. I can always add more if it's too stiff! Believe me, I will keep working on it. I love the look of the smoothness I got. I just have to tweek my icing and technique a little. thumbs_up.gif

grannys3angels Posted 27 Oct 2007 , 8:10pm
post #30 of 59

You'll get there Price icon_biggrin.gif I know you will. Yes it is better to start off with less and add more if needed thumbs_up.gif

I for one am so very very happy I found this icing recipe and so is my family and friends. It is awesome IMHO.

Oooops big type-o in last post...should say "You can do it" sorry. Guess I am not thinking to good today...it's the ps, has my mind cloudy icon_lol.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%