Coloring Fondant - This Was Weird?????? Kind Of Long!

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 18 Oct 2007 , 4:46am by jrosebud

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 21

Ok, so I had this cake I was doing for a friend on Monday. I bought Americolor Regal Purple, I was using Fondx Virgin White fondant. I tried and tried to get it purple, I used most of the tube of color and all I got was a pretty blue color. So, I decided to go ahead and use that color blue, anyway I was making some stars for the top and decided to mix gumpaste with fondant, I tried coloring the gumpast with the regal purple and behold it was purple, just the color I was originally wanting! What the heck. Now I am working on another cake for someone and need some black for accents, so, I try coloring last night same fondant and it looks black at first but then turns a green color. Needless to say, I was totally freaked out!! When I was doing the purple color my hands turned a bright pink, took me forever to get it off. I guess there is something in the fondant that does not take color properly, I don't know, any ideas???????

20 replies
pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 21

i dont know what to say other than buy a new brand of fondant lol. i have never had problems coloring my fondant...

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 21

The regal purple never comes out a true purple. Don't know why but I tried to different fondants and it will not come to a true purple color. It was a night mare for my son's dragon cake. Luck I had some base purple from wilton and then I luster dust the cake with color.

You are going to have to mix red and blue to achieve the purple you want.

Good luck.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 21

Well, first, I always use gloves to add color-i hate pink hands.

I haven't tried the virgin white, but I am guessing it may have a whitener in it. Most 'white' fondant isn't a bright white. the whitener may be interfering with the coloring.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnB

Well, first, I always use gloves to add color-i hate pink hands.

I haven't tried the virgin white, but I am guessing it may have a whitener in it. Most 'white' fondant isn't a bright white. the whitener may be interfering with the coloring.

Ditto on that! That's my guess too thumbs_up.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 21

You can buy pre-colored Satin Ice Fondant in both purple and black. That might be the easiest way to avoid the whole issue of strange colors.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 21

I think it is probably something in the fondant which prohibits it from turning the colour you want it to go. I did a course with Colette Peters where I had the same experience with colouring fondant black, it was green no matter how much paste I added. She said certain brands will have chemical reaction with certain colours, altering the end result. Her advice was to use powdered colour, and sure enough, my green fondant finally turned black.

amodeoandrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amodeoandrea Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:33pm
post #8 of 21

Narie,
Where are you buying your colored satin ice? I can get white locally but I wasn't sure where I should order the colors from.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 21

Both black and purple are not primary colors so you have to use other primary colors to make it. Im sure there is something in the Fondx that is reacting to it. I would of tried adding red to your blue and it should of given you a purple color. Black would of been a mix of a bunch of colors. But your best bet is to either use a different brand fondant that allows you to color (such as Satin Ice) or use a different type of coloring such as a dust or gel. Or buy the precolored Fondx or Satin Ice!!!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:26pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

Both black and purple are not primary colors so you have to use other primary colors to make it. Im sure there is something in the Fondx that is reacting to it. I would of tried adding red to your blue and it should of given you a purple color. Black would of been a mix of a bunch of colors. But your best bet is to either use a different brand fondant that allows you to color (such as Satin Ice) or use a different type of coloring such as a dust or gel. Or buy the precolored Fondx or Satin Ice!!!

Definately go with pre-colored fondant when you can!! It might cost a bit more, but when you figure how much time you spend coloring your own, it is more than worth it! It will save you headaches and you get to spend more time doing what you love...decorating cake! icon_smile.gif

Sionann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sionann Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 21

I'm thinking it's the fondant too. I made a Halloween cake this past weekend that I needed both black and purple fondant for and didn't have a problem achieving the colors. I use homemade MMF and the coloring was Wilton purple and black. It's in my photos.

texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 21

I talked to the owner of the local cake supply store about this not long ago - the virgin white does have a whitener in it that prohibits it from coloring dark colors the shade you would need or want it. She suggested starting with the ivory fondx for dark colors to get the color you want or as others have suggested, buy it pre-made if they have the color you want.

texasseegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texasseegirl Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:53pm
post #13 of 21

I talked to the owner of the local cake supply store about this not long ago - the virgin white does have a whitener in it that prohibits it from coloring dark colors the shade you would need or want it. She suggested starting with the ivory fondx for dark colors to get the color you want or as others have suggested, buy it pre-made if they have the color you want.

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:47pm
post #14 of 21

i totally have the same problem. I wanted to color my white satin ice brown just plain brown, i used chocoalte brown and tried all over again with warm brown, neither gave me brown until i added some yellow. There DEFINATELTY has to be something in it....but i did figure out how to get flesh (thats the only thing i could achieve with either of the browns).....i feel your pain.

shipleyc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shipleyc Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:49pm
post #15 of 21

I have issues with the Americolor black and mmf. I almost always get a green color when I try to airbrush mmf with the americolor black. Unless I use an obsessive amount of airbrush and then it runs of course.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #16 of 21

Amodeoandrea- (I hope I spelled that right.) I have never ordered from them, but the prices from Into the Oven are the best and others say their shipping costs are reasonable. Otherwise I would recommend Country Kitchen, I have ordered from them and been very pleased. Several people have said they were very happy dealing with Into the Oven. http://www.intotheoven.com/Fondant-Rolled-Fondant-2-lbs/c118_138_154/index.html

I hope that helps.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:26pm
post #17 of 21

I purchased chocopan from into the oven and had it within 3 days!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:24pm
post #18 of 21

Ditto on IntoTheOven.com They are fast, inexpensive, and with reasonable shipping. It's the only place I buy Satin Ice.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:38pm
post #19 of 21

I have found that, from time to time, it is easier to make secondary colors out of primary colors, instead of using the secondary color to begin with.

Example -

I hate making brown icing. Instead of knocking myself out with a ton of brown food color, I use red and green, then tint further with the brown.

Try using red and blue, then going to the purple, if needed.

I would wait a day between adding other colors.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:44pm
post #20 of 21

I have managed to color the Virgin White Fondx solid black with no problems. Maybe it was just a bad batch? This is the cake I used it on if you want to see the color http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_952953.html I thought it took the color very well.

I hope you find something that works for you! I'd be buying pre-colored if anyone carried it locally. I haven't needed it bad enough to order any yet.

Anya

jrosebud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrosebud Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:46am
post #21 of 21

The Americolor black has a greenish tint to it and Wilton has a tinge of purple. If you add a bit of purple (or just red would work) to your Americolor black and green (or just yellow would do) to the Wilton, it should even out the color for you (as long as there aren't any other wierd chemical reactions going on).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%