Camaro Cake

Decorating By confectioneista Updated 19 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm by confectioneista

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 9

I'm thinking about doing a 3D Camaro cake for my husband's birthday. The Camaro is the one from the Transformers movie.

Anywho...does anyone have any advice on constructing the cake since I'm not sure be able to lay my hands a car mold pan. Any suggestions about the best kind of cake for sculpting, cake support, etc.?

Thanks much!

8 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 9

I made a Mustang cake once - it's in the photos. I used a pound cake, and had a photo of the car to go by. Carve a little at a time - you can always carve more off.

confectioneista Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the advice. I looked at your pics - your Mustang looked great. Did you fondant the mirrors and the accessories?

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 9

yes - fondant accessories - stuck the mirrors in with pieces of toothpick - just let them know so noone eats it! icon_smile.gif

meancat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meancat Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 9

i did a car cake a couple of months ago as well and just used scratch cake since it holds up better and then just carved it down to where it looked like a car. Took a couple of hours and then just covered in fondant - you can see it in my pics. icon_smile.gif I hope that helps you.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 9

you can go to the toy store or Walmart and find a toy camaro or model. this will help with the design. I just used regular cake...it's from working in a bakery, doing scultped cakes and having to use whatever they make.
Mine is in my photos. One of my favorite of all the cars that I have made.

confectioneista Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks much everyone! You all have some serious talent. If mine comes close to look like any of yours I'll be happy.

Meancat - that is one sa-weet 57 Chevy!

Queencake50 - how did you get your tires and rims to look so real on your camaro?

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:21am
post #8 of 9

On the tires, I made the black thick disc, then made a circular indentation for where the rim starts with the fat end of a icing tip, any one will do, just not a huge tip. Then with the pointed end of a skewer, I poked 5 holes in a circle, creating the rims.
for the tire markings, I just took a small knife tool and made light indentations like slits. When dry, I painted the rim part with silver dust/vodka.
Hope it helps. Good luck!

confectioneista Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:10pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, that does help! Thanks for the info. Ok, here's hoping I do it justice!

Thanks again everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%