Airbrush Color Bubbling Up In Cup...

Decorating By mrsright41401 Updated 6 May 2008 , 2:14pm by littlejake

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:59am
post #1 of 11

I'm doing some airbrushing tonight and I put 5 drops of Americolor airbrush color in the cup of my airbrush and it started bubbling up... can anyone tell me what is going on?

Rachel

10 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:11pm
post #2 of 11

Curious...was the airbrush on when you added the color?

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 11

Yep.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:41am
post #4 of 11

When I add stuff while my airbrush is on, I notice a little movement...there is some slight air running through there even when the button isn't depressed. Maybe that's it?

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:40am
post #5 of 11

My gun is on when I add color and it doesn't do this, but my thought would be escaped air as well. As long as it doesn't bubble up on the cake, you shouldn't have a problem.

littlejake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejake Posted 5 May 2008 , 12:07pm
post #6 of 11

I too have the same bubbling problem, but no color comes out. I have tried it with both of my guns and also went and bought a new one. I have gotten the same results with all three. Lots of bubbles on color comes out. The original two do work with artists airbrush paint, and they are not cloged. Anyone have any ideas?

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:26am
post #7 of 11

I have an Aztek-the type where you screw the nozzel on. In the instructional video I remember hearing that if you get color bubbling in the cup, it means the nozzle isn't screwed on tightly enough. I don't know a lot about how regular airbrushes are put together, but perhaps there's air leaking in through a tip that's not air tight. Aren't there seals on those things? I'm TOTALLY GUESSING here. Just thought I'd throw it out there to help you problem solve.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #8 of 11

you haven;t mentioned what type of airbrush gun you have, but it has happened to mine i have the gravity feed kopykake gun. this happens when the needle sits too tightly in the nozzle and some of the air is back flushed and it bubbles inthe cup. the nozzle is so easy to break so be carefull if you attempt to loosen or tighten it. i had to replace my nozzle altoghter. it was $15 for that teeny bit.

littlejake Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:17am
post #9 of 11

Thank you very much....I will try loosening it. The guns I have are Badger 100sg, iwata Hp-a and a meiji Mp-1. The Badger is hooked to a air can, not a compresser. I will reply back, after I try this again. Thank you for your help.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:47am
post #10 of 11

I just purchased a new badger compressor (cyclone) 40 psi and 1/10 hp (whatever that means!!???) and I have the standard set 350-3 airbrush, single action and external mix. I literally am starting from zero and I believe I need to get a hose to attach to the compressor, I don't see one. But my question is: Do I have the correct system to start out and what do you all recommend as far as instruction, a book, a how to dvd?

One more question, what is the difference b/t internal mix vs. external mix? I saw another airbrush at michaels that said external mix??? Clueless here!!!

Please help me!!!!!!!!! thank you!!!!

sorry to impose on the post.

ginger

littlejake Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #11 of 11

Just wanted to let everyone that helped....Thank you, Thank you...loosing the needle worked for the bubbling. Thank you to all that helped!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%