Black Cake

Decorating By trombonekaren Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 1:51am by trombonekaren

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:13am
post #1 of 11

I would like to make a black cake for Halloween but am a bit nervous about getting enough color without the bad taste that comes with too much food coloring. I am planning to use the wilton quick pour chocolate fondant and then add enough to get that black. I will be attaching some chocolate transfers with buttercream to the fondant after it dries. I have never used this before and am also a bit nervous that the fondant might crack or something if I try to attach anything to it - anyone anticipate any problems with this plan??? Thanks!!!

PS - If i spray chocolate frosting with the canned color spray, will it come out with a nice black, or just splotchy brown???

10 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:26am
post #2 of 11

You could buy pre-colored black fondant. Satin Ice makes it, probably other companies make it too.

trombonekaren Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:17am
post #3 of 11

How does it taste??

4them Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4them Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:24am
post #4 of 11

The satin ice black taste awesome and smells so good it is really good no food dye taste what so ever order it from-- into the oven.com--hth i have only tried to make black once from food coloring it was awful, unless you have an airbrush icon_smile.gif

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:27am
post #5 of 11

Will have to try the black satin icing. Just an idea but what about making chocolate fondant or buying chocolate fondant and then add black colour. I don't use as much black colouring and tatses alright. The only black fondant I've found smells like vomit but it wasn't satin icing.

HTH

Leigh

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:29am
post #6 of 11

The poured fondant and rolled fondant are two different things, so make sure you are using the one you think you are icon_smile.gif

crl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crl Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:55am
post #7 of 11

I used poured fondant on a KISS cake I made recently and colored it black. I thought it tasted fine. The one thing I noticed about the poured fondant is that it did not harden like I thought it would. I attached rolled fondant letters on top of the poured fondant. The poured fondant was soft and cracked easily (kind of like the icing on a glazed doughnut).

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:12am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crl

The poured fondant was soft and cracked easily (kind of like the icing on a glazed doughnut).

Exactly. This is what poured fondant is/does. It is like what you put on a petit four, not the kind you see on wedding cakes (usually). It is not intended to be an easier way to get the same product on.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 5:19am
post #9 of 11

CalJava also makes black fondant and it also has a great taste as do most of their color fondants. I also put flavor oils in them.

trombonekaren Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 1:19am
post #10 of 11

OK - I think the quick pour fondant is out - that is not what I want. I am going to put chocolate transfers all around the side - I can just see the icing giving way and everything falling off. So, I guess it's rolled fondant for me. OK - so does anyone have any experience with the chocolate fondant recipe from the Cake Bible? It sounds so quick and easy - I was planning to put the black food coloring into the liquid ingredients before mixing it all together - any thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!!!

trombonekaren Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 1:51am
post #11 of 11

In case anyone is also interested in the Cake Bible Choco fondant - I have made up a batch and it tastes very good, but does not behave exactly like regular rolled fondant. It doesn't have that nice elasticity and MUST be warmed in the microwave until it is about body temp, or it crumbles all over. I was able to get it pretty close to a black color. So, I am going to give it a shot for my Halloween cake next week - wish me luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%