You Will Not Believe What My Mother Said!!

Decorating By lish1904 Updated 22 Oct 2007 , 12:35am by ANicole

lish1904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lish1904 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:10am
post #1 of 23

At the moment I am making 100 cupcakes for my husband to go sell for his 1st Class Association at the Halloween fair on the military base. My mom was asking how much were they going to sell them for? She said A QUARTER!!! icon_surprised.gif for a cupcake. I laughed at her and said "ARE YOU JOKING!!" I broke it down to her, I have been in this kitchen, so far 2 1/2 hours just baking and I'm only half way done and I still haven't decorated them. I'm not making money off this just getting my money back from supplies but even the thought of them selling for a QUARTER I would puke! Even my mother doesn't understand cake pricing. This comes after a cancellation because a woman didn't want to spend $120 on a cake for 75 people including driving 60 miles for delivery and setup. *SIGH* we need to make a TV service annoucement for people so maybe they will understand. usaribbon.gif

22 replies
emf7701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emf7701 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 23

so $25 for 100 cupcakes icon_eek.gif ..... um..... NO! cupcakes are such a pain to do! at least .75 per cupcake..... i'm with you on that TV service announcement!!!!!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 23

$1.00 for a regular style cupcake, $1.50 if it has fondant or a time consuming design.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:26am
post #4 of 23

wow, you can't even get them at wal-mart for 25 cents a peice.

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:07am
post #5 of 23

You can't even get Hostess cupcakes for 25 cents each!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:15am
post #6 of 23

A cupcake is a single serving...if you don't charge at least $1 for them then why bother making them at all. icon_wink.gif
Your mom is living in the 1950's if she thinks she can get a homebaked goodie for a quarter.
Oh the poor dear. Some one needs to take her on a field trip to a bakery and show her what people have to pay in 2007 for a fresh baked snack. icon_rolleyes.gif

And if it is to raise money for a good cause...charge $1.50!

mommachris.

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:25am
post #7 of 23

25 cents a cupcake!!!!

icon_eek.gif

People really have no clue. They think we just have little cake elves that make 100 cupcakes iced and ready to go and we don't even break a sweat. Irritates me. I wouldn't say to a builder "Well you could just get this house done in 1 month."

PS. If anyone does find any cake elves, let me know! I need about a dozen.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 11:47am
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erdica

People really have no clue.

No kidding! I'm repeating this story, but a guest at a wedding overheard me telling one of my staff that it took 7 hours just in baking time for the wedding cake and her mouth dropped open. "7 HOURS!!!" she exclaimed! And I repeated for emphasis .... "JUST in baking time!"

It was a 5-tier wedding cake! Surely to god she didnt' think I just popped it out in a couple of hours! But then again, she probably did.

Yeah.....mom is still stuck in the 50's. She needs to get out more often.

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 23

It's funny how people have no concept of the time we put into our work! My last wedding was for a 4 tiered cake, along with a petit four type groom's cake. I baked 12 hours!!!! JUST BAKED! I even have a convection oven! Oh, and I had to mix each batch of batter with a hand mixer! I agree with the public service announcement! And a QUARTER per cupcake is just rediculous even for a charity bake sale.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:51pm
post #10 of 23

icon_biggrin.gif I wold love to see a PSA on this!!!! thumbs_up.gif People must think we get our ingredients from a baking fairy and our electricity is free icon_confused.gif . Anyone in a warm climate (SoFla, here) knows that to bake for 6-12 hours straight icon_cry.gif means the air conditioning is running on overtime. icon_cool.gificon_cool.gif

sandy

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:44pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

No kidding! I'm repeating this story, but a guest at a wedding overheard me telling one of my staff that it took 7 hours just in baking time for the wedding cake and her mouth dropped open. "7 HOURS!!!" she exclaimed! And I repeated for emphasis .... "JUST in baking time!"

It was a 5-tier wedding cake! Surely to god she didnt' think I just popped it out in a couple of hours! But then again, she probably did.

This reminds me of when I did the stack of books cake in my photos. It serves 120, but it took me about 35 hrs to bake and decorate. This was for a family reunion and some were dumbfounded that it took that long.... guess they won't be able to afford to buy from me then..... oh well someone else will.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:17pm
post #12 of 23

Your mother needs Cupcake Therapy icon_biggrin.gificon_confused.gif I really cannot understand why people just do not have the slightest clue how much it cost to make these things ? icon_eek.gif even a dozen eggs cost almost $3.00.. Don't they look at the cost of ingredients ? show her your grocery bill for the ingredients.

__Martha__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Martha__ Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 9:35pm
post #13 of 23

Awww - we're all going to be like that someday - just out of touch with what things really cost these days. I know I was pretty shocked when I found out what my DD pays for a pair of jeans! Heck, I could have had 10 pair for that price when I was a kid! But, I digress! icon_redface.gif

If you do a quick Google search of 'cupcakes per dozen', you'd be hard pressed to find any under $25 per dozen and most are much more than that! Mind you, these would be delivered in fancy boxes and such. I'd say at least $1.25 or $1.50. I just asked DH and he said he'd pay up to $2, especially if it's raising funds for something. (We're in Canada by the way - everything is more expensive here!) icon_cool.gif

lish1904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lish1904 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 11:18am
post #14 of 23

I know..i know. my mother is seriously out of date. I keep trying to explain it to her and I guess she is "getting" it. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought she's crazy. But I love her anyways icon_biggrin.gif

__Martha__ Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 10:26am
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lish1904

I know..i know. my mother is seriously out of date. I keep trying to explain it to her and I guess she is "getting" it. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought she's crazy. But I love her anyways icon_biggrin.gif

We don't think she's 'crazy', she just probably hasn't bought a cupcake in a long while. icon_biggrin.gif My mother would do/say the same thing! icon_rolleyes.gif

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 23

i think the hardest thing for non-cakers to grasp is the ingredients and time. they just think..."hey, its just some butter, flour, sugar and eggs. what's the big deal?"

i've also been a little bothered by some of my friends who seem surprised at the time involved. i've been toying with the idea of having a cake decorating party for my friends. the idea is to invite 6 of my friends come over for wine and cheese. we would sit in my dining room and decorate a small 6" cake each! let them try to get it smooth. i think it would be fun and a lot of laughs from all. it would also allow them to see a tiny bit of what goes into a cake!

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:24pm
post #17 of 23

elizw, and since 6" cakes have somewhat of a PITA factor ......

you are an evil woman! I LUV IT!!!!!!!!

cariage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cariage Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:26pm
post #18 of 23

your mother reminds me of my dad. Just completely out of touch with $$$$ in 2007. My dad was apalled that I spent more than $10 on a pair of denim jeans, because thats how much he pays for his jeans. ( I don't have a clue where he is shopping) I'll bet if I asked my dad how much a cupcake sells for he would say 25 cents. Just the labor alone is worth more than 25 cents. I agree with others here, that I think it's something that happens to us when we get older. We remember how it used to be and just simply can't adjust to how things are now.

indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 7:33pm
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariage

I think it's something that happens to us when we get older.

icon_lol.gif Oh my gosh I qualify! I've only owned about 3 pair of tennis shoes in the last 20 years because I am NOT paying that kind of money for a $3 pair of shoes (which is what I paid for tennis shoes that we used in gym class way WAY back in high school!).

Heck, I even remember when penny candy cost a penny! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

__Martha__ Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:57pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizw

i think the hardest thing for non-cakers to grasp is the ingredients and time. they just think..."hey, its just some butter, flour, sugar and eggs. what's the big deal?"

i've also been a little bothered by some of my friends who seem surprised at the time involved. i've been toying with the idea of having a cake decorating party for my friends. the idea is to invite 6 of my friends come over for wine and cheese. we would sit in my dining room and decorate a small 6" cake each! let them try to get it smooth. i think it would be fun and a lot of laughs from all. it would also allow them to see a tiny bit of what goes into a cake!

Yes, this definitely is evil. I love it too. icon_twisted.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:22am
post #21 of 23

My cupcakes START at $1.50 each and go as much as $4.00 each if they want something really fancy. My average cupcake goes for $2.

So far, nobody has complained... and if they did, I'd direct them to the nearest grocery store. icon_smile.gif

MimiFord Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFord Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:26am
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizw

That's a good idea - now let's spice it up - make them do hex's and petal's - just to make it interesting icon_confused.gif

My DH doesn't have a clue - I had three birthday cakes due on the same day, and he was wondering why I had been in the kitchen for 12 hours!! Then he had the nerve to ask why I charged the woman he saw come pick hers up $30 for a 10 inch countoured, torted, filled WASC with BC!! I swear I wanted to dump what was left of my BC on his head, but it would have been a waste of good frosting tapedshut.gif

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:35am
post #23 of 23

I'm getting ready for my bake sale at a holiday craft show. My dad said that the ONLY way I'd make any money is if I make it cheap and sell it cheap. He said I should charge 25 cents per cookie or less. He said if I was lucky, someone would buy one!

I told him very respectfully, Dad, I think you're wrong.

Anyway, the cookies I'm doing are sugar cookies, decorated. And also some huge choc-chip ones on sticks dipped in fudge. No way I'm selling them for 25 cents! I am selling cupcakes - with filling - for $1.50 each.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%