Well, I "ruined" My First Wedding (Long, Sorry)

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm by tdybear1978

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:32pm
post #31 of 57

She was from Texas, wasn't she? As in "I went to UT", right? lol That is coming from a wife of an Aggie!

Your cake is wonderful. It amazing how "others" try to sabotage a good thing. Don't worry--you done good!!!

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:28pm
post #32 of 57

I think that I would contact the bride. She may be too embarrassed to contact you. The bride may have known nothing of what was going on until she walked in and saw the "fixed" cake. I would ask her if there was some misunderstanding on my part, and stress that if she were unhappy she should have told you when she came and looked at the cake. Like I said, she may feel just as bad as you or worse about what happenend and this may prevent her from ordering cakes from you in the future or from recommending you to others, so I personally would address the situation.

lillykaci1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillykaci1 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:33pm
post #33 of 57

All I know is that your cake is just so very nice, and I would have loved it at my wedding (not in that color though or that topper)! And you did the number one right thing before you left you got a picture of your cake on the table at their wedding....which means even if the bride wanted to say something or take you to court you have proof that when you left the cake was perfect and you did your part!!!!

I'm sorry that they called you back and that you had to see all those people around your cake messing with it!!!! I would have been so mad. Just look at it like this they were the ones that messed up the cake not you. Like all of us here you gave your 110% to that cake and it cake out perfect....you set it up where they told you to you took the pic...YOU are DONE!!!!

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:48pm
post #34 of 57

thanks everyone for all the kind words, i knew you all would understand where i was coming from

DEBBIE157 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DEBBIE157 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:00pm
post #35 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegrahamcracker

Why do you think you "ruined' the wedding??

The woman who was poking flowers all over the cake - was the one that ruined the cake and wedding - NOT YOU!!!!!

Definitely do not give any money back or discount this cake in any way. If they bride should call back and say she did not like it - remind her that when you dropped off the cake she loved it and it was not ruined till the other woman got a hold of it.

Hold your head up - you made a beautiful cake.

I agree.

WHO was the woman poking the flowers into the cake??

and WHY was she allowed to do this??

Was she a relative, a consultant, ????

tdybear1978 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:08pm
post #36 of 57

i have no idea who she was, everytime i tried to talk to her she would just roll her eyes at me and never answer me

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:20pm
post #37 of 57

Man, I believe I would have poked a few flowers somewhere other than the cake! You have much more self control than I do! Your cake is gorgeous and I think you worked miracles with the hmm... interesting choices of the bride. Sorry this happened to you on your first wedding - but be prepared - there's more wackos where this one came from!

chezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chezz Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:31pm
post #38 of 57

Your cake is great, obviously the 'flower poker' was disappointed that she wasn't asked to do the wedding cake in the first place(thank God, imagine what it would be like then). I daresay the bride was more than a bit peeved to find the cake that she loved had been 'redecorated'.
Then again, good taste is not necessarily something that this girl is endowed with judging by what she asked you to do in the first place. If possible, chalk it up to experience. You have a whole heap of people here who reckon you have done a great job.

Michellear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellear Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:37pm
post #39 of 57

I wonder if the "crazy flower lady" accidently stuck her finger (elbow?) in the cake & was trying to cover up her boo boo? icon_confused.gif That was my first thought...I aint sayin it makes it right, I'm just saying... icon_eek.gif

edited to say: Your cake is beautiful, despite the hideous topper!!!!!

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 9:49pm
post #40 of 57

It is to bad that STUPID doesn't hurt !!! Maybe if it did, that would be the last time she "fixed" a cake !

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 10:03pm
post #41 of 57

That is a horrible experience...but the minute you leave your cake at a venue, it's exposed to idiotic toppers & florists with hideous taste as well. Calling you back made it your problem and it shouldn't have been.

One thing I would definitely do is to email photos of the cake to the bride/groom as you left it at the venue...I think they need to see what YOU did as opposed to how that insane woman altered it.

Not to throw speculative "fuel" on the fire either, but WHY would someone wait until only 10 days before their wedding to order the cake? Perhaps this woman was going to make it and the family changed their mind...or something more sneaky like that? icon_confused.gif Sounds like sabotage to me....and how weird is it that SHE seems to be the one to always turn up to reportedly "fix" bakery errors? Hmmmm.....

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 10:28pm
post #42 of 57

when I read your post, I was highly upset. Who gave that woman the right to redecorate your cake? And on top of that go nasty with you. icon_mad.gif
I would wait and when i get a chance , to tell the bride what happened. One thing, is that the bride seen it an loved it before" mizz all that" got to it. You did not ruin the cake. You did a beautiful job. I believe she was mad that she did not do the cake. I say a bad case of the "green eyed monster".

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:00am
post #43 of 57

I'm not sure I could have been as well mannered as you were if I saw some deranged woman attacking my cake with hordes of ugly flowers! icon_eek.gif I think I would have wanted to throw myslef infront of the cake... or tackle flower lady. How on Earth did you just walk out of there knowing she was destroying your cake? I would definately send the bride a reminder photo of the cake before it was "fixed"!!!

tdybear1978 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 2:36am
post #44 of 57

I really just don't understand what happened - the nice woman (penny) who called me and asked me to come back out said that the bride was fit to be tied and that the cake was falling off, blah blah blah. And then when I got there I heard those women saying that the bride was just in tears and this was just a disaster. I just don't understand what happened in the 20 minutes that I had been gone that the bride changed her mind from it being beautiful and then it ruining her life. And at this point I really just don't care anymore about her, I think I did not get so mad at the fact that for some unknown reason she was not happy with it but because of the way that those women treated me (flower woman especially) I felt like I was 2 years old getting in trouble for something my brother did. I know it seems stupid, but it's just that I have not had anyone talk to me like that in a long time. OH well, I will get over it. Thanks everyone for all of your encouraging words.

mezzaluna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mezzaluna Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:37pm
post #45 of 57

i am so sorry that this happened to you! What a bunch of dorks! They had no right to do that to the cake. How could they love the cake absolutely and then 20 minutes later absolutely hate it? I think it looked fine, well, except for that rust color, but that's not your fault icon_biggrin.gif

Now for the not-so-nice....

I read this thread before I left for work this morning and have thought about it on and off all day. I have read some incredibly bigoted things here on CC, but when I read your comments about these people and their religion I just about fell out, 'cause it really did take the cake. The following comment was so unecessary and so ignorant.

"Now, I won't tell the denomination of this church because I don't want to offend anyone here. But as I was driving home talking to my mother on the phone all I could say was Other then my BEST FRIEND AND HER MOTHER I have almost never come in contact with a woman of this religion that was at least cordial. "

I mean, how bigoted can one be? I mean, implying that folks of a certain religion are ruder than others?? That's just ignorant. thumbsdown.gif

I have lived for fifteen years abroad, and travelled extensively, and can tell you that I have met assholes of all shapes, sizes, colors, nationalities, and religions. There is no one religion that has a monopoly on rudeness, believe me.

And there is absolutely no one religion that has a monopoly on goodness and light, for that matter.

tdybear1978 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 7:30pm
post #46 of 57

mezzaluna - I apologize if I have offended you by this comment and I am not saying that this one religion is worse then others or that other religions are better then they are. I have come in contact with people in my own church that feel that they are higher then other people. As I said, I have come in contact with few people in this religion that have been cordial or did not look down on others and I say this because this was the religion that I was raised in and when I became an adult (and old enough to make my own decisions) and went from church to church I ended up leaving that particular denomination because of the fact that the churches I had been apart of made sure that they kept themselves separated from others almost making sure no one else wanted to be apart of what they were. I am not saying by any means that EVERYONE of this religion is like this, as I said, my best friend of 13 years is of this religion and i am very close with her and her family and I have come to meet people in her new church (for she is also trying to find a church home where the people don't act like this) are very nice and welcomed me with open arms.
I really am sorry if you were offended by this, that was not my intention. I do not feel that any religion is "above" any other nor do I feel that anyone has the right to judge anyone else which is completely what they did to me and if I were judging them by their religion then I would have never done the cake to begin with.

Again, my apologies to anyone if you were offended.

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:21pm
post #47 of 57

So sorry this happened to you. I can't believe the nerve of some people. If it were me, I'd want to talk to the bride personally and find out just what happened or what she thought was wrong.

As for your comment about this particular denomination. I don't see that what you said was offensive. You didn't say that EVERYONE who was of this particular denomination was this way, but a majority that you PERSONALLY have had contact with. You were speaking from personal experience.

Anyway, your cake was beautiful (color aside) and you should be proud of it. icon_smile.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:33pm
post #48 of 57

thank you erinalicia, i really was not trying to be offensive, that was the farthest thing from my mind. mezzaluna I hope you do except my apologies

jackmo Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 5:11pm
post #49 of 57

personally, I did not feel too ,that your were bigotted or offensive. Nor was your statement was ignorant. You was just voicing how how you were treated. And yes, people confessing religion should act more loving, but that is not the case of some people. Don't let that discourage you for there are some rude people in all faiths. Hopefully down the road, they see themselves and straighten up.

becky27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becky27 Posted 19 Oct 2007 , 6:10pm
post #50 of 57

well let me just say you did a wonderful job with the cake and you can always tell when someone is good at what they do when they take "lemons" in this case "burnt orange" and "twigs" and make lemonade/a beautiful cake!!! and you did just that!!! some people just really need attention...and sounds like to me these chickens had no real active role in the wedding so why not stir the wedding cake pot and become the heroes that saved the whole wedding!!!! hahahhahahaa whatever.....live and learn!!!!!!
"don't let too much of yesterday take up today!!!"

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 7:23pm
post #51 of 57

a couple of things - Nice cake pre that horrible woman's interference. I wonder if the flowers were organic? I hope Mrs Flower Poker checked they had not been sprayed with herbicides/pesticides!

I'm an atheist but even the first post had me thinking 'huh? What does this woman's religion have to do with this??' Like her 'particular denomination' could explain her behaviour. It seemed to me like you were judging her in some way based on her religion, rather than the fact that she is just clearly a self centred, colour blind, tactless, childish, rude, bossy b****! (I could go on!)

Mentioning religion when it is not relevant is the fastest way I've seen to inflame a thread here. Like Duff says 'Its all about the cake!'

jackmo Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:34pm
post #52 of 57

From what i am reading, the previous post was talking about mentioning religion when it is not revelent can inflame a thread. I can see that if the name of a religion is mentioned. Tybear did not mention any. So what is the problem? This is America, we are a free country and every one is entitled to their own opinion. Their are things that people will say that I don't like. Infact there is one whose signature is highley offensive but that is her opinion. She has that right. We need to realize that when someone posts a problem and they may say the "wrong" thing in one's opinion. but please stop getting ofend and respect them. They are already upset about what had happened to them and need encouragment and not rebuke. So please respect that.

shoup_family Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shoup_family Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:53pm
post #53 of 57

I didn't read through all the posts.. but... just wanted to add my 2 cents...

A cake is just a cake and CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT, ruining a wedding. It is a traditional fancy dessert, and that's it. The bride does not marry the cake.

I'm so sorry the way you were treated. I think the cake you made is beautiful, and you should have been very proud of yourself.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 11:58pm
post #54 of 57

First of all, I cannot understand what kept you from ripping that woman's head off. I just read all this thread and I am irate! That took some real gall to attack your cake. Maybe not gall........maybe just pure old ignorance.

There is nothing wrong with your cake other than the hideous topper that she chose. I'm trying to decide if maybe they are "tree huggers" or something.
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (Nature lovers.......don't get offended!)

I do agree that the religion comment could have gone unsaid but if that is how you feel, so be it. Bringing religion into a forum usually causes disaster, as we have seen in the past. You were just letting off steam and I have said some things that should have been left unsaid many times in my life. I'm sure that everyone else on here has also.

I would for sure make it a point to talk with the bride about this and not just let it go by. Don't beat yourself up, you did a great job.

Diane

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 12:19am
post #55 of 57

Your cakes are quite lovely!

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 22 Oct 2007 , 1:07am
post #56 of 57

Sho-up family, I like your philosphy! I too ruined (not that the original poster came close to ruining this wedding - but I really really screwed mine up) a cake over the weekend. I felt I ruined the wedding. But, you're right, it's just a cake! They have the rest of their lives to be in marital bliss. This one little cake can't possibly ruin the greatness ahead of them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 23 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm
post #57 of 57

Again, I apologize to those that I may have offended by my comment on the religion issue. I will be sure not to bring that into my posts in the future. I do not mean that in a sarcastic or hateful way, sometimes I just forget how sensitive people can be in situations concerning religious topics (even though this was not really one of those) and I should have not even mentioned it. Again, sorry to offend, was not my intention.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%