Well, I "ruined" My First Wedding (Long, Sorry)

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 23 Oct 2007 , 7:17pm by tdybear1978

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 57

I was told that this would happen, that when I opened my own shop eventually the day would come that I would just "ruin" someone's wedding day and I guess that day has come. About 10 days ago I had a couple (and their family) come in to order a wedding cake for 250 people. I thought "wow they really waited til the last minute for something so large" but oh well. The bride found a picture in my book that she loved (which is below, it is the black and white cake) and she said she just had to have that one but wanted to change colors. Ok, no problem. So she brought me in the ribbon (an ugly burnt orange thing) and then she brought me the topper (which was pretty much like a tree an actual tree) but oh well, she is the bride, this is her day and to each their own. So I did the cake and all went well. I delivered it and set it up, they had about 20 people come and look at it (I tell them to please inspect it before I leave to make sure everything is to their standards) and then the bride came in. She said she loved it, it looked beautiful and thank you so much. So that was it, I left with my head held high and so proud of myself (because I absolutely hate doing this cake) I drive 30 minutes back to my bakery and then the phone rings and someone named Penny (I think the coordinator) said that the cake was falling and the icing was bulging and the bride was fit to be tied. I thought "WHAT" it was fine when i left. So I drive another 30 minutes to get back there to find about 10 women standing around the cake talking and saying "she is just in tears this is just a disaster" and there was one woman who was sticking flowers all over the cake. so I say "Hello, I am the cake woman what is the problem" and they respond "well, just look at it" so I do and there is nothing wrong with it - it looked just as it did when I left. So I repeat what is the problem and the woman sticking flowers everything said "I'm taking care of it" and I respond show me a problem that needs to be fixed and I will be more than happy to fix it and they say well look right here the cake is falling off - well that was a corner of the square that "hangs" over the top of the lower tier (which is because of the style of cake she chose, the staggered look) and I explained that it is not falling off, that there is a plate under there that you just could not see and she looked at me like I was stupid so I clicked my fingernail underneath it so she could hear it and she was like, Oh I did not know that was there. So I ask where is the icing "bulging" and they say look right here, well it was a crease in the icing and I say well, I can fix that right now and the one woman shoving flowers everywhere says "NO JUST DON'T TOUCH IT!" So I back up and call Penny, the woman who originally called me and tell her that this woman won't let me touch the cake and she comes right over. She walks in and says - Oh my gosh what have you all done to the cake, and that special woman putting on the flowers says she (the bride) will like this much better. I am now currently bent down walking around the cake trying to find a problem and I say Someone Please show me a problem to fix and this woman says "JUST DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING, I AM USE TO FIXING BAKERY SCREW-UPS" and that was it, I slowly come back upright and turn to look at her and just as I open my mouth the nice lady Penny puts her hand on my shoulder and says I am really sorry that you drove all the way back out here they apparantly think she will like this better it is their problem now, go ahead and go. So I slowly just turn and leave, so mad I wanted to wait for that woman after the wedding icon_evil.gif

Now, I won't tell the denomination of this church because I don't want to offend anyone here. But as I was driving home talking to my mother on the phone all I could say was Other then my BEST FRIEND AND HER MOTHER I have almost never come in contact with a woman of this religion that was at least cordial. They have all been so snotty that I just distance myself from them. That one woman just almost got an earful of a lot of un-christian words and I was ready to just unload on her so that God would rip the roof off to strike me down and then I would take the whole wedding down with me icon_biggrin.gif

Ahhhhh, okay I am done I just really had to get that off my chest to people who could maybe understand. I have attached a picture of the cake she saw in my book and the cake that she got (the black one was in the book, the orange one is hers) please be critical, does anyone see some horrible thing that I am not seeing. Thanks everyone, sorry this is so long. love you guys
LL

56 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 57

Wow...Is that woman out of her mind? Where the heck did she stick the flowers into your (very lovely) cake? I'm so glad you took a photo of it before they destroyed it.

Did you ever speak to the bride? I mean why the heck was she crying after she told you that she loved it? THEY probably made her see things that weren't there!

I think you did a wonderful job and if Penny apologized to you then I'm sure she will set things straight with the bride.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 57

Honey, the only thing wrong with that cake is the color scheme and the topper. But as you said - she is the bride.

Don't worry about it. The bride wasn't crying because of anything you did - she was crying because she finally realized that she may need a color consultant.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tdybear1978 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 57

No, i never did get to speak with the bride when I got back over there, it was about 45 minutes before the wedding. Everywhere you see the orange scrollwork was pretty much where she put the flowers, you could not see any of that anymore. UGHhh I was so mad I just could not believe it.

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 57

OMGosh!!! icon_eek.gif

First of all... your cake looks WONDERFUL!!! There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING that I could see wrong with your cake.
So far I've only done wedding cakes that once the cake is there, I stay for the whole thing (I cater too). Dh and I stand guard over the cake table there would be NO ONE touch or poke things into my cake. I think if I had walked in and seen someone poking flowers or whatever into my cake I would have to hurt her. You have alot more self-control than I do.

Try to shake it off...a lot easier said than done I know. There are some people that you just can't please.

Missy

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 57

deleted

tdybear1978 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 57

I could not believe when she brought those twigs to me, I was just like are you kidding me

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:09am
post #8 of 57

Your cake is beautiful, I can't believe that some people take it upon themselves to touch other peoples cakes. I know what you mean about hating to do that cake I did a similar one last year.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1073733.html
I think it's just a wonky design.
YOU didn't ruin the wedding the cake mob did
(((hugs)))

Jibbies

afh0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afh0212 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:12am
post #9 of 57

Ok...first let me say, there is NOTHING wrong with your cake! I think the major problem with that "topper" is that it is way too large!!!!!!!!
I can see this "bunch" shortened and maybe looking a little more "under control", but if she wanted that...then so be it!!
Don't worry ......

afh0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
afh0212 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:13am
post #10 of 57

Ok...first let me say, there is NOTHING wrong with your cake! I think the major problem with that "topper" is that it is way too large!!!!!!!!
I can see this "bunch" shortened and maybe looking a little more "under control", but if she wanted that...then so be it!!
Don't worry ......

gingerkitten79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingerkitten79 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:16am
post #11 of 57

oh sweetie, its thier problem now, and if the bride does go nuts at you, you have the word of this Penny to back you up. dont sweat it.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:18am
post #12 of 57

There is nothing wrong with your cake, that other woman must have been nuts. Putting flowers all over it, destroyed the look of that cake, I cannot believe, that the bride would've wanted that

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:19am
post #13 of 57

Being critical here... I see tons of NOTHINGNESS!!!!!!!! wrong with that cake icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif Now then let me say if it were a closer up picture of just her cake maybe I could pick out a flaw here or there in the scroll work has a small pin hole gap here or there but from the picture above I see nothing at all wrong with that cake.

When leaving a cake at any function (as I've not done any weddings yet) I strongly advise no one is to touch the cake except the person that ordered and paid for the cake. If anyone is to touch it and ruin it I am not held responsible for what problems arise from them touching it. I supply cutting guides and also a detailed note on how to disassemble the cake if it's a stacked or tiered construction. I explain to everyone at every function to stay away from the cake until the purchaser has given me their signature that the cake is as ordered and they are happy with it and strongly advise they not let anyone near the cake because of situations just like this... Maybe you should start including that in your contract and also have a release form for them to sign at the time of delivery so nothing like this happens again and if it is you are no way held liable for their screw ups icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:21am
post #14 of 57

Why do you think you "ruined' the wedding??

The woman who was poking flowers all over the cake - was the one that ruined the cake and wedding - NOT YOU!!!!!

Definitely do not give any money back or discount this cake in any way. If they bride should call back and say she did not like it - remind her that when you dropped off the cake she loved it and it was not ruined till the other woman got a hold of it.

Hold your head up - you made a beautiful cake.

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:22am
post #15 of 57

Why do you think you "ruined' the wedding??

The woman who was poking flowers all over the cake - was the one that ruined the cake and wedding - NOT YOU!!!!!

Definitely do not give any money back or discount this cake in any way. If they bride should call back and say she did not like it - remind her that when you dropped off the cake she loved it and it was not ruined till the other woman got a hold of it.

Hold your head up - you made a beautiful cake.

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:24am
post #16 of 57

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but when I post I get this thing about my server has gone away, the first time it happened I ended up making a triple post. I figured out if I hit the back button then go to the home page it posts it.
Has anyone else had this happen?

Jibbies

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:27am
post #17 of 57

Your cake is gorgeous....they are out of their mind in acting in that manner and did the lady even make sure the flowers she was putting in the cake safe? Don't sweat it, your work is amazing and if the bride herself didn't say anything negative to you directly, maybe someone else was just upset and made it seem the other way.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 12:27am
post #18 of 57

Your cake is gorgeous....they are out of their mind in acting in that manner and did the lady even make sure the flowers she was putting in the cake safe? Don't sweat it, your work is amazing and if the bride herself didn't say anything negative to you directly, maybe someone else was just upset and made it seem the other way.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 6:52pm
post #19 of 57

Maybe the woman who fixed it is a wanna-be decorator who couldn't actually frost a cupcake. So she gets it in anyway she can by fixing other bakers' "mistakes".

The only people like that I know are people who think they could have done it better themselves.

tdybear1978 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:01pm
post #20 of 57

No, I don't think that I did anything wrong with the cake - it was those special people who said that I ruined the wedding. I have just been in awwwe over this. I have gone back and forth about sending an email to her but my family says that I should just leave it alone unless she contacts me.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 6:57pm
post #21 of 57

I'd love to hear what the bride thought after seeing the flowers poked in.
What a rude woman, behaving that way!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:35pm
post #22 of 57

Yes, let her contact you. We'll see what she has to say.

That woman was completely out of line.

thumbsdown.gif

Shyanne_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shyanne_Mommy Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:39pm
post #23 of 57

First of all I am appalled at you to think that is your fault !! It is NOT your fault one bit...... It sounds like to me that the person stuffing flowers in the cake was hoping that the bride had not seen the cake yet and hoping once she saw it she would have second guess not using the woman that was doing the stuffing "FiXING" of the cake. Either way I would not worry about it....give it some time, if she doesn't email or call in a couple of weeks concerning the cake I would say that She knows it was not your fault and leave you be....Of course if I was in her shoes I would be embrassed to say the least!

(hugs)

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:57pm
post #24 of 57

There are some strange people out there!!!!!

canoewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canoewoman Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:57pm
post #25 of 57

The bride was probably in tears because of all the flaky women she had to deal with regarding the cake and what THEY wanted to do to it. I see NOTHING wrong with the cake, it is what the bride wanted and she was happy with it when you brought it in to show her. Don't let the opinions of "the people who want to feel important on someone elses special day because they don't have anything important going on in their own lives" upset you. When YOU and the BRIDE know it was a job well done that is all that should count!!!

frosting111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosting111 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:01pm
post #26 of 57

OMY GOODNESS GRACIOUS!!!

Sounds like the so called "cake fixer" was the culprit to the whole ordeal..I bet ya this aint the first cake she has sabotaged with her know it all,see all the flaws attitude..I bet she took one look at how wonderful a job you done and got so jealous she just had to do something, just anything to show her butt and so called expertise in front of all the other ladies....what a sad bitter person she must be to act out in such ways.

This is why I take LOTS of pictures and forewarn the brides about anyone going near the cake table before I ever make the cake for her..I do tell them that soon as I take my pictures and turn my back and walk away from the cake I am NOT responsible for it at all anymore what so ever..

I did like what one of the poster here said about having someone sign off on the cake...I need to make me up some paper work to do something like that myself..Great idea indeed icon_smile.gif

You did a great job,so the color scheme and the topper if a tad off...but we do what the bride requests us to,its her special day and her design and tastes, not ours....I did one cake that is covered in poinsettias and red roses and actually got a comment from someone here that it was too much..I replied back that it wasn't mine but the brides idea...and the bride was very happy with the cake and said it was prettier than she expected or pictured it to be....so go figure :\\

Larie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larie Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:11pm
post #27 of 57

I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when the bride walked in and saw what they had done to the cake..

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:16pm
post #28 of 57

Once the bride has said she loves it, and you've had everyone agree that it's great, and you've LEFT THE SITE, you are no longer responsible. If they'd had any problems, they needed to address them while you were still there.

AND once that lady had started poking around in the cake, you are definitely not liable for anything after that. Kinda like trying to fix your own car will void the warranty. You don't touch the cake, if there's something wrong.. you call the decorator and have them come fix it. Once she'd started messing with it, it's no longer your problem, and SHE'S the one that ruined the wedding, not you!

I think the cake is gorgeous, despite the color scheme, and that no one has any right to claim that YOU ruined the wedding.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:18pm
post #29 of 57

I had a lllooooooonnngggg post all typed up and when I went to send it I got the message that CC was down....I see it didn't post and I won't go back & rewrite it.
Let's just say you are *much better* then me at holding your tounge. That lady would have gotten a tounge lashing from me from the get go!

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 8:30pm
post #30 of 57

Your cake was great (aside from that hideous orange, of course!). The upside to this whole ordeal is that you learned a few lessons:

1. Some people are dumb.

2. Other people are rude AND dumb.

3. Once the cake is set up and approved by the bride or whoever is in charge, you are done! End of story!

4. Be wary of last-minute cake orders...yes I know there are exceptions to this, but typically rushed orders seem to come with nutzo people IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%