Need Ideas For Simple Cat In The Hat Cake

Decorating By calebsmom45 Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 2:22pm by FairyPoppins

calebsmom45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calebsmom45 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 11:16pm
post #1 of 11

A not so close friend would like me to make her a cake for this weekend with a Cat in the Hat theme. I have only made mostly fondant cakes so far and am no really sure what I can do for this cake. She wants a ten inch round but other than that it is up to me. I want it to look good so any customers there will remember me when I do start selling cakes and I don't want it to just look like it came from a grocery store. Any Ideas for me? What kind of fondant figures fo you think would be kind of simple to make or should I get an edble image (which I have never used). Any help is truly appreciated. Maybe some bright colors on the side? Can you get small edible images and make them stand up on the cake by backing them with something or would I need to do a chocolate transfer (something else I have never done) for that? I know it is alot of questions but any help is appreciated!?!

10 replies
calebsmom45 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 11

Nobody? I thought I would try again since CC was down right after I posted!

calebsmom45 Posted 16 Oct 2007 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 11

Quick while it is up again......Help Me!!!! icon_cry.gif

calebsmom45 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:23am
post #4 of 11

Last request?? Anyone?

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 1:28am
post #5 of 11

I have only done freehand Cat in the Hat drawings on sheet cakes. Not sure how much help it will be, here is an example.
http://sugarfrosted.com/thumbnails.php?album=search&type=full&search=cat+hat+half

calebsmom45 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 3:45am
post #6 of 11

Thanks. I am not good with the whole piping/drawing thing but I could give it a try.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:03am
post #7 of 11

I know this isn't a 10" but first thought that came to mind was either 4 or 5-7" or 6" cakes stacked and then decorated like his hat. Then you could cover the whole thing in fondant and add the strips.

HTH

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 8:13pm
post #8 of 11

Does it have to be the actual Cat in the Hat? Can it be green eggs and ham?

mom2c-m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2c-m Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 3:43am
post #9 of 11

Like Leily, my first thought was make the hat. You could do a 3 or 4 layer cake with a FBCT of the Cat in the Hat on top and the sides striped like the hat.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 18 Oct 2007 , 4:07am
post #10 of 11

Here's one I did. Simple yet definitely Cat in the Hat
(forgive the choc smears on the table!)
LL

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 11

I'm not sure how to link but if you go to Charmcitycakes.com (Ace of Cakes) there's a fondant Cat in the Hat cake in one of the galleries.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%