Only 16 Views?

Decorating By Barbend Updated 17 Oct 2007 , 12:44pm by ccaluda

Barbend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barbend Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 19

Ok, I made this cake for my niece and she loved it. I thought it was one of my better cakes and could not wait to get some feedback from all of you. Well it has been almost two weeks and only 16 views icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I guess it wasn't that eye catching or something. It is the electric guitar in my photo's. I have a request to make another is there anything that I should do different for the next cake?
Sorry for the shameless plea icon_redface.gif

18 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 1:49pm
post #2 of 19

I think it looks great the way it is .. sometimes we just dont get the views or comments we hope for on some of our pics ... a lot of times they just get uploaded so fast they get moved off the main page and put into your gallery so fast people don't have the chance to see 'em! thumbs_up.gif

elizw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizw Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 19

i checked out your photos....which look awesome, by the way. which cake is it????

Barbend Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 19

It is the electric guitar.

KathleenR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenR Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 19

Your guitar looks awesome! I don't see a need to change a thing.

shelly150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelly150 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 19

That is an incredible cake. I hope that I get a chance to try something like it!

woodyfam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodyfam Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 19

Barbend,

My thought on the guitar is this, there are a lot of them in the gallery already and that is probably why the lack of views. I think so many people have done this type of cake that they are just opening pictures of things that look completely different. I think we just move on when we see something repeated. It has nothing to do with the skill of the decorator, just a lack of time to look at pictures. Does that make sense? I hope you understand that I am trying to be comforting, not caddy. I have made lots of cakes that don't get views or comments and it is disheartening. Don't let this be a reflection of your skill. Your guitar is adorable and very well done!

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:04pm
post #8 of 19

The cake is perfect! It looks so realistic! I definitely wouldn't change a thing with it.

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 19

I think the guitar rocks!!!! With all of the maintenence going on, I know I have missed several cakes. Don't let the views make you think you did something terrible. It is a really cool guitar!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 19

It is a great guitar cake. Beautifully done.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 19

It is a great guitar cake. Beautifully done.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:31pm
post #12 of 19

K here's my take on what happens to photos that hit the one or two comment limbo.......
After they get the one or two comments on them they aren't on the front page anymore (I actually had one that never even made it to the front page because of all the photo uploading and before it could even post to the page it was already kicked off) well, where was I, o yeah, after it gets a couple comments it's not on the front page and it's not in the uncommented section either, hence, unless someone clicks on your profile or clicks the photo button at the bottom of any of your posts, it gets sucked into the dreaded, photo limbo.
It happens, tragically, to a lot of really awesome lookin cakes.
Your guitar cake is great hun, Love the pink fender. And I've used pasta for the strings on mine too.

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 8:40pm
post #13 of 19

I think you did a really great job on your cake also!!
I just wanted to add that in the keywords section, you have guitar spelled wrong. I know it's just a typo, but that may be a reason it doesn't come up when someone does a search.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 10:04pm
post #14 of 19

#1) Very nice cake, looks realistic and you are very talented

#2) Maybe we should open up a whole forum where people can complain that their photos don't get enough views/comments/favorites since it seems to be such a popular topic lately.

Yes, I know this is a free board and we are all free to post whatever we want and if I don't want to read your post I don't have to click it yadda, yadda, yadda, so please don't flame me on that. I just personally (as it is ok for me to post whatever I want too) am getting tired of seeing boo hoo posts. I can understand wanting some more attention for a cake you really loved, but why can't people just post the back story, say they were proud of it, and link to the pic? Done deal, and sounds positive instead of whiny.

Yikes... I must be having a day today! Flame away!

Barbend Posted 15 Oct 2007 , 10:06pm
post #15 of 19

Thanks for all the comments/ support. I have corrected the spelling. icon_redface.gif Thanks

sugarfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarfancy Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 4:36am
post #16 of 19

I think it looks great!

Barbend Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 5:58am
post #17 of 19

Ok, I just read the above post. I was not whining, I just simply wanted to know if there was anything I could do diff to make the guitar look better or more realistic. I could not figure out how to attach a photo to my post. I have done so in the past, but it didn't want to attach. I make few posts on this site and do not have time to read much in the forums so I am not aware of others whining either. As a new decorator , I as well as others apreciate comments on our photos. Everyone on here has been so nice and helpful when I needed something. Maybe you should have started another discussion about how you do not like people asking for help/opinions on their cakes, Instead of making me feel pitiful for asking for help/opinions .

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 6:46am
post #18 of 19

I thought your guitar looked really good. I took a moment to look at the rest of your cakes as well and thought they looked good too. I had to post a reply to this, because I understand you frustrations well. There have been quite a few cakes I have posted that I didn't even get more than one or two comments. I decided 1st to stop basing my opinions on how good my cakes look on the amount of comments or favorits I get on this site. I appreciate any and all comments, but understand that many people are here to only look at cakes and different cakes strick different peoples interest. Not everyone is going to think my cake is as fantastic as I think it is. I now base a lot of my opinion on what I, my husband (My biggest fan) and my customer(not always paying) think. These are the most important opinions there are. Yet, we all want our peers to admire and appreciate our work, unfortunetly, this just does not happen on a regular for all of us. I didn't think you where whinning, and even if I did, there is no need to be rude or cruel. So, be your own fan, give your own self a pat on the back and tell your self a job well done! Regardless of what anyone here has to say, if you don't think you are in the running, you wont be! Also, the only thing I would suggest for any of us struggling decorators is practice makes perfect, the more you do, the better it will get. And one of these days yours and my pics will make the top of the site where the really favorite pics are featured!

ccaluda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccaluda Posted 17 Oct 2007 , 12:44pm
post #19 of 19

The guitar looks great! The only thing I would change would be the cake board. At first glance all I saw was lots of aluminum foil. Maybe cut in board in the shape of the guitar or cover it with fondant âsheet musicâ.

Just my newbie opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%